cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charles-ed
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello the community,

I am a little bit lost today with something I don’t understand. At this point I don’t know if it is me or an unreleased feature of Airtable…

In AUTOMATION, I want a specific item in Table 1 to be changed when something is modified in Table 2. I have the item ID of Table 1 thanks to a LINKTO field in Table 2.

But… I can’t use the value in LINKTO field and same if I use a LOOKUP field : the values are grayed.

Capture d’écran 2022-11-14 à 14.29.22

Is it normal ? Did I miss something obvious ?

Thanks everybody :winking_face:

8 Replies 8
Nathaniel_Grano
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi @Charles-ed and welcome!
Can you share a little more information? Which action are you trying to edit in the screenshot above?

It seems like you would want to use the “Update Record” action, but it looks to me like you are showing a screenshot of a “Find Records” action. You don’t need a “Find Records” action since you already “found” the record because it is identified in the Linked Record field from Table 2.

So you can simply go straight to Update Record and input the Linked Record field as the RecordID

That said, even if you were using the Find Records actions, I’m not sure why the options to use data from the trigger step would be disable…

CharlesEd
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi @Nathaniel_Granor ,

Thanks for the answer

Capture d’écran 2022-11-14 à 17.08.24

I want to check when a record in Table 2 check some conditions and then modify the record linked in Table 1. That’s why I have to find it in the other table so as to update it.

Is it more clear ?

I think so.
It seems like the “Find Records” step is unnecessary:
Your “When a record matches conditions” trigger is already checking the conditions and will identify a single record that (newly) matches the conditions you specified (from your screenshot: “Cloturee” is checked).

Now you can proceed directly to the Update Record step, using the data from the trigger step to select the Linked record:

CharlesEd

My problem is that the trigger is on Table 2 : I am watching when Case_resolved = true in the Case table.

Table CASE :

• Order ID (Linkto)
  • notes
  • Case_Resolved True/false

In Table ORDER, I have all my orders and a checkbox ‘Has problem : true/false’
Table ORDER :

• Notes
  • Has_Problem : True/False

How can I change the value of Has_Problem field in the table ORDER when I check Case_Resolved in table CASE ?

Ah!
An automation has to operate within a single base. So you can’t do that directly within the automation.
BUT, you can use Airtable Sync to replicate some or all of your CASE table in base 1 and then put the automation in base 1.

I am so stupid I wrote BASE instead of Table… Sorry, was tired.

Then is it possible in 2 different tables in the same base ?

Thanks !

Nathaniel_Grano
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Yes, absolutely possible within two tables in the same base. You just have to select the relevant table in each of the Actions.

Trigger: When a record matches conditions

• table: 2 (CASE)
  • condition: when case_resolved is checked

Action: Update Record

• table: 1 (ORDER)

• Record ID: “Use data from…” the trigger step and select the Link field that points to the ORDER table

• You have to “Edit token” and use the ID property instead of the name of the linked record
  • Fields: Has_Problem = 0 / unchecked

CharlesEd

Thank you it works perfectly !

I was trying to use a linked field as a condition and I could not access the linked field value. I wrote to Airtable support and I share their response with you (I think you already knew that but maybe it can interest other people here).

It is not possible to pass a link field as a condition, because it is an array ! So you have to create a new formula field and refer to this field with the function ARRAYJOIN(YourField,“,”) and now this value is usable as a condition value