Help

Re: New Airtable user struggling with Automations!

270 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Penny_White
5 - Automation Enthusiast
I'm hoping someone can help me please.

We are not having much luck setting up some simple automations. We've watched lots of videos and follow step by step but still can't seem to the do the following. Hoping some can give some very simple instructions aka: AirTable for Dummies 😂 

A) When we update a record in one table we would like it to update in another table.  For example when the outcome or status changes of a product we would also like the outcome or status to change in a linked record.

B) When we add a new record to one specific table we would like the record to be added to our all contacts table.   

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3
Dan_Montoya
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Penny,

1. When we update a record in one table we would like it to update in another table.  For example when the outcome or status changes of a product we would also like the outcome or status to change in a linked record.
    1. Table 1 has a linked field to records in table 2
    2. Make sure you have a "lookup" field in table 1 that looks up the status field of the record in table 2 (call it status-2).  You want to copy this value (status-2) to status-1
    3. Create an automation that monitors Table 1 status field from status-2.  When status-2 changes copy the data to table 1 status-1. 

Below is a copy of a similar automation that follows the same format. Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 3.39.40 PM.png

1. When we add a new record to one specific table we would like the record to be added to our all contacts table.   
    1. I try to recommend against people copying data from one table to another.  You can get the data into the other table by using a linked field.  The advantage is you can only update the data in one place.  your data stays consistent. If your source table really only is a temporary holding place for data before it is created in the final table, create your automation to copy all of the data from your temporary table into your permanent table.  

Penny_White

Thanks Dan.  So going back a step and giving you some more info. We have a check box that when we tick it to show the status has changed in one table we want an automation that will reflect that change and add the information to another table. Can you help with that please?
Thanks

Hm, here's an automation setup which updates a linked record when you mark the checkbox of the primary record:

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.09.09 AM.png

with automation.gif

I'm not sure what your business case is, but you could potentially do this with just a lookup field instead maybe?  Here's how it would look using a lookup only, allowing you to save on automation runs:

with lookup.gif

===
And here's an automation that'll create a record in a second table when a record is created in the first table

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 10.13.00 AM.png

Both automations can be found in this base