1057 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AUTORRARI_MAIN
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

OK, you’ve seen this a thousand times… 2 tables, table1 is a list of customers & their CRM data. Table2 is a list of Vehicles. One customer can have many vehicles, but one vehicle can have only one customer.

Both the ‘customer’ and the ‘vehicle’ data is being dumped by zapier into their prospective tables. AND lest I forget to add that BOTH tables can/are bringing in the unique ‘customer’ ID. Also, the ‘vehicles’ table will NEVER populate before the ‘customer’ table does.

I’m trying to EITHER add the ‘customer name’ from table1 to table2 OR add the ‘vehicle name’ to table1. And I was thinking about using an automation.

Am i close? lol Please help me get off this stump!?!? :tanabata_tree:

Thanks,

DG

9 Replies 9

Hi DG
Table 2 has link to Table 1? Add a lookup in Table 2 to the Persons Name in Table 1

samsies for the other question, add a look up in Table 1 to the Vehicle in Table 2

AUTORRARI_MAIN
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey, thank you Vivid-Squid for jumpin! But you might have misunderstood the situation. I can’t link what I don’t have. The vehicle won’t be added at the same time. But when it does come in, it needs to associate with the customer.

cust to veh

I can taste it! It’s right there! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!? Argh!

Anyway, thanks again,

DG

It sounds like

• Zapier puts the unique customer id in both the [Customers] and the [Vehicles] table.
  • the record in the [Customers] table will always be created before any [Vehicles] records
  • the customer id is 100% unique in the [Customers] table
  • you want to creat the link between the customer and the vehicle

Create an automation in the [Vehicles] table. You can choose to trigger the automation either when the record is created, or when the record meets conditions. The condition would be when the {customer id} field is not empty, but the {linked customer} field is empty.

The first action will be a “find records” action where you look for records in the [Customers] table where the {customer id} matches the {customer id} in the triggering vehicles record.

Then, have an “update record” action where you update the triggering record in the [Vehicles] table to a new list of the record id from the “find record” action.

AUTORRARI_MAIN
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

OK, so the ‘trigger’ worked.

trigger-1

But when when I get to the ‘action’ it falls apart:

trigger-2

What am I doing wrong? I KNOW that we are close…

trigger-3

II used ‘dynamic’ for the condition. Is that wrong???

trigger-4

trigger-5

Thanks,

DG

It is hard to tell what is going wrong. Here are some standard troubleshooting ideas

• check the field types of the fields involved. I was assuming that they were single line text.
  • try retesting the trigger and picking a record that you know has values that make sense
  • when all else fails, sometimes rebuilding the automation from scratch helps

Yes, that is correct.

David_Galetar
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hahh! Hahh! Hahh! I got it! Turns out I missed one of your suggestions… Thank you… again!!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

dg

Lol. Thanks for going back and reading. Which suggestion was it?

zooomed right past it and had them in backwards! :motorcycle: :checkered_flag:

BTW, I saw in another thread where you were starting to talk about having the ability to ‘add’ multiple ‘linked records’ together in one cell with an automation. But I lost it!

Can you point me in the right direction again??? After all, I just made ‘Basic’ today!!! :rofl: (Thanks again!!!)

Sorry. I don’t recall that particular thread.

In general, you set a linked record field in an automation by making a list of either primary field values or record ids. I prefer using record ids, because they are guaranteed to be unique and have no special characters. One way of doing this is by making a list of record ids from a “find records” action.

You can search for the thread yourself, or you can start a new thread. Someone will probably answer you, even if I don’t. There are lots of helpful people on these forums.