1431 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christy_Pessagn
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’m having an issue when I try and tag an individual with their Slack ID in an automation I’m making. When I test the Slack message, it’s sending back the Slack ID number rather than their Slack name. I’ve attached a few screenshots of what is happening in both the testing area and in Slack itself. It’s obviously getting the information, but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong that I can’t get it to list the person’s slack handle. Thanks for any help!

Test result. I had added a space between the @ symbol in this test.
This is how it is also showing up in Slack. This was before I added the space.
This is my current list of ids in the database.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Did you actually send it to Slack? Or are you just testing it in Airtable? You have to send it to Slack to see it turn into a username. Airtable doesn’t have access to any of your Slack usernames.

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7

Welcome to the community, @Christy_Pessagno!

In your Slack ID formula, you will need to get rid of the space after the @ symbol.

There is a typo in the Airtable Support Documentation about this.

I’m tagging @Adam_Minich to alert him to the typo. Adam, the typo occurs about halfway down on the page where it says <@ U012345678>

Thanks @ScottWorld! I removed the space and it’s still showing up as the Slack ID in the tests. Here’s my preview:
CleanShot 2022-11-16 at 21.28.01@2x

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Did you actually send it to Slack? Or are you just testing it in Airtable? You have to send it to Slack to see it turn into a username. Airtable doesn’t have access to any of your Slack usernames.

Ah ha. It worked when I sent it directly to Slack. Thanks a bunch!!

Glad I could help! :slightly_smiling_face: If you don’t mind, could you please mark my comment above as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question in the future, because it will rise to the top of the search results.

Thanks for the tag, Scott! Got that part of the article updated.

Thanks so much, @Adam_Minich! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: :raised_hands: