cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bandersnatch
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I have created a multiple choice quiz (following this guide Self Grading Quizzes With Airtable). I have setup a field with the total score of all correctly answered questions for each student. I want to transfer this value automatically to another table into a field that is associated with the same email address as in the quiz table each time a new form is submitted. Ideally I also would like to achieve that another submission from the same email address is ignored and not transferred a second time.

I am still very new to airtable and unfamiliar with the correct terminology. I hope this was understandable.

Thank you for your help!

4 Replies 4

Hi @Bandersnatch,
Welcome to Airtable! If you have the students information in a different table than your Form data, you can link the records and use a Lookup field to bring in the score to the students table.

Or you can use an Automation to update the record in students table.

If you want different behavior for existing email, use automation. trigger by form submission, then ‘Find Records’ with the same email
then use conditional actions

length means list of records found. if 0, add create record action using data from submitted record. if >0, do nothing (you can even delete submitted record, but that needs a bit scripting)

sometimes, when you take new record data, automation triggered after record created, but before all data filled, so you can receive empty ‘total score’ field - it was filled a millisecond after automation launched.
to avoid such accidents, use another trigger instead, based on a value you need. for example, when record matches condition (total score not empty)

Bandersnatch

Than you very much, this is very helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

I want to prevent cheating. Is there a way that I can prevent duplicate submissions when the email already exists in the table associated with my form? Or some kind of workaround that will achieve the same?

Bandersnatch

I tried but couldn’t make it work. The actions should be
form is submitted → score is calculated in the quiz table → this core is synced with a field with the score in the user database IF email adress submitted in the form and email adress in students table match…

emailmatch

Thank you very much!