448 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt_stewart1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Trying to setup automation when an actual date gets recorded in a field, if it is different than our planned release then it would update the planned release date field. Once it does this, I would like it to send a slack message to team managers for reference/visibility.

However the moment someone starts to type a date in the field, the automation kicks in with first key stroke and results in wrong date being captured and slack message sent prematurely. See attached example.

I have tried triggering on date field change, i tried when enters view, I tried when a formula field changes. All of them result in same issue. The only way to get it to work is if the user uses the date picker which is seldom used.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 6.58.26 AM

1 Reply 1

Unfortunately, Airtable doesn’t wait until users leave the cell that they’re typing in before it triggers an automation.

So the only way that you can accurately trigger an automation like this in Airtable is by using a checkbox field or a single-select field.

Alternatively, you could use an external automation tool like Make.com to continually poll your Airtable database on a regular basis (every X minutes, every X hours, etc.) to check for changes to that field, and then trigger a Slack message automation from there.