Did you mean: 
Harold
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Who knows how I can organize this?

I have two tables:

1. Groups, with each 10 columns for the names of their members
  2. Members, with the data of all members of all groups

Now i want to automatically add the name of a new member to the first open spot of the particular group.

For example, if Joe is the 5th member signing up for Group X, then his name should automatically appear in column five of that group.

Is this possible?

6 Replies 6
Harold

Members

Groups

Hi @Harold,

I’m not sure why you are trying to do this but you could be modeling your Group and Member relationships incorrectly. Take a look at this article.

-Raminder

This is possible with a scripting automation. With the base structure shown in your screen shots, it is not possible without code.

However, I suggest that you investigate a different base design. Your table structure looks like you are familiar with spreadsheets. Despite the visual similarity to a spreadsheet, Airtable is not a spreadsheet–it is a database. Here is some food for thought:

• Take advantage of linked record fields to join the two tables, instead of copying the name to the text field in the [Groups] table.
  • If the position of the members (who is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc) does not matter, you can use one linked record field in the [Groups] table for all of the members. You can use count or rollup fields to determine the total number of members.
  • If the position of a member is important, can someone belong to multiple groups? If a person can belong to only one group, you can store the position in a numeric field or automatically calculate a position.
  • If you want to increase the number of members in a group, you will need to change your current base design. However, there are other more flexible base designs that can handle changes in the number of members per group without changing your base design.

By the way, based on your screen captures, it looks like you have a one-to-many relationship, not a many-to-many relationship. One group can have many members, but each member belongs to only one group.

Harold

Thanks @kuovonne and @Raminder_Singh.

A member can only belong to one group. And i’ll need all members of a group in a seperate cell. So based on the reply of @kuovonne i’ll need some scripting automation then. Are you familiar with this? Or should i move this topic to another section then?

Do you want to write the script yourself or do you just want working code?

If you have budget to hire someone to write the code, you can read about my approach to custom script development on my website.

Harold

I can’t write it myself, so I’ll take a look at your site.

Or does someone here have a ready-to-use script available for this?