Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Airtable Base Structure for a Business Directory

Topic Labels: Base design
984 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArizonaLarry
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm fairly new to Airtable but very familiar with data structures from a development perspective. I have a Pro plan and I'm building a community directory on a website. It will have business listings and categories, member data and profiles, a calendar of events and some maps to be displayed as they relate to groups of community members. I'm looking for advice on the best way to structure the bases for this data from an Airtable pricing and access perspective.

I know I can have one base and build multiple tables within that base to support a website. Or I can also build multiple bases and have the data in separate bases. In the future I might want to use segments of the data and share them among other community websites.

Is there a preferred way or optimal way of mapping this data? Or is it interchangeable and both ways work well in the Airtable environment? I believe pricing is irrelevant since there are unlimited bases. Record counts in the bases may be a factor but the counts are likely to be 20,000 or less. I have a Pro plan.

I appreciate feedback from some of you experienced users. Thanks!

1 Reply 1
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Airtable is a platform of limitations, so you will only get full functionality if you keep as much of your data as possible in one base.

Creating segments of data is not a problem with one base, because you can use Airtable’s “Views” feature to segment your data.

Since you are new to Airtable, you might benefit from taking my free Airtable training course, which you can take for free by signing up for a trial membership with LinkedIn Learning. I have an entire chapter that discusses Views.

Also, if you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld