Help

Create a table with dynamic number of columns (based on - for example linked records)

Topic Labels: Data Views
224 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrToooom
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey all, new at the community. Been using Airtbable since many years and love it. Just have been pushing it further wiht scripts, automations, and integrations. 

Many springs ago (25) I used to be a developer and the database thinking runs still through my blood. So when I make an base with some use case in mind (probably not wherefore Airtable is intended for) I think of tables that have the flexibility of SQL. 

Imagine this
Base to keep scores me playing boardgames with friends (because we're nerds and we wnat to know who is the ultimate better player over the years etc.) ps. I actually do also serious things with Airtable but this is simple for people to imagine 😄

Table: players (list of people)
Table: board games (the actual game, eg. UNO)
Table: games (a session until someone wins)
Table: rounds (all the rounds played in a game until its over)
Table: scores (per round, per player) which links to a round & player, and adds a score

Then in an interface i want to select a game, and there i'd see the rounds 
rounds-id, player A score, player B score
etc. 

I haven't figured out how I can tell Airtable something like "only consider the players that are selected for this game" and show them in an interface table/list/grid. While playing we then can enter a record for each round.

But also to show summaries and statistics based on a selection of players (who is the best of us 3, or those 4 etc.)

1 Reply 1
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

re: I haven't figured out how I can tell Airtable something like "only consider the players that are selected for this game" and show them in an interface table/list/grid. While playing we then can enter a record for each round

Hmm, a potential workflow could be:
1. Link the relevant Player records to a Round record
2. Have an automation create a single record in the Scores table per linked Player record, and have the Scores record linked to the appropriate Player and Round
3. In your Interface, have a selector that allows you to select the Round record, and have a Grid / List element that'll display all the linked Score records

re: But also to show summaries and statistics based on a selection of players (who is the best of us 3, or those 4 etc.)

Assuming want to see the overall statistics of the Players for a selection of players in a Round, you could:
1. Create lookups in the Scores table to display the Player's overall scores that you want to compare
2. Create a series of rollups and lookups between your "Round" and "Scores" table and use "MAX(values)" to determine the highest overall score, second highest overall score, etc, allowing you to see the ranking

---
Lemme know if you need me to throw something together for you, gotta run for a meeting right now, sorry!