Help

Re: Custom linked record View when adding new linked record.

1155 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Enlil_Ragas
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have two tables (Table A and Table B) linked to a common table (Table C).

When adding a new linked Table C record from Table A or B:

• I want Table A to use View 1 from Table C.
  • I want Table B to use View 2 from Table C.

View 1 and View 2 have two different input requirements upon creation so they have different field orders and visibility.

How can I achieve this? Thank you.

2 Replies 2

There are 2 parts to this: what the users see when they're adding a new linked record to Table C and what users see when they expand the linked record from Table C in either Table A or Table B. 

When users are adding a new linked record to Table C, you can limit the selection of the linked records to a view. Sometimes that makes it easier for users to find the records they need to link. You can't individualize the way those records are expanded in the Data section. You can individualize the way those records are expanded in an Interface, though.

For example, let's say Table A is Products and Table B is Salespeople and Table C links the Salespeople to the Products they sold.

In your Products Table, you have 3 views
1. Product Name, Product Description, Vendor, Link to Table C
2. Product Name, Vendor
3. Product Name, Product Description

In your Salespeople Table, you have 3 views
1. Full Name, First Name, Last Name, Hire Date, Sales Territory, Link to Table C
2. First Name, Last Name, Hire Date
3. Full Name, Sales Territory

In Table C, you have
1. Link to Salespeople, Link to Product, Date of Sale
2. Link to Salespeople, Link to Product, Commission Due, Date Commission Paid
3. Link to Salespeople, Lookup of Sales Territory, Rollup of all Sales in that Territory by that Salesperson, Link to Product, Rollup of Product Sales, Date of Sale, Commission Due, Date Commission Paid

When users go to add a Sale in Table C and click into the cell for the Salesperson, you want them to choose from a list of records that show the Salesperson's Full Name and Sales Territory. So you limit that linked field to View 3. When users click into the cell for the Product, you want them to choose from a list of records that show the Product Name and Vendor. So you limit that linked field to View 2.

As far as expanding the record from Table C in either Table A or B, the views in both tables default to whatever View is topmost in Table C. So users clicking on the linked field in the Salespeople or Products tables will see the Link to Salespeople, Link to Product, Date of Sale. If you switch Views 1 & 2 in Table C, users will see the Link to Salespeople, Link to Product, Commission Due, and Date Commission Paid.

Thank you  very much for your detailed answer.

I am leaning towards your last paragraph. I don't want both tables to default to whatever View is in the topmost. I want each table to use a different view not just the topmost. Is there a work around for this? Or is the AirTable team planning to implement something like this?