1016 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a Payment Interface with a Form that creates a new record in my Payment table.  There is a field for Dues Amount and another for Donation Amount.  Both are define with a Currency data type, and with a Default Value of $0.00.  In most cases only one of these fields will be updated by the User.  The problem is that the default value is not being applied to the field the User fails to update.

What am I missing?  It appears that the Default Value feature that is available when defining the field characteristics (e.g., name, data type, default value), doesn’t work properly.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the insight.  Good suggestion.  I did what you suggested, but to my Interface Designer "Create New Record" form.  This is the form that gets activated with clicking on the "+" on the Interface.  Unfortunately, the Default Values I entered are not being stored, and/or do not show up on this form.  To me it looks like a "bug".

See Solution in Thread

DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The solution I discovered, was to write an Automation that filled the empty fields with my default value, after the record was created.  Record creation is my triggering event.  This works well since I am having the collaborators perform data entry via a designed Interface.  Thanks for your help!

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3

The default value function applies for records created within a grid view I believe, and doesn't apply for records created via forms

Screen Recording 2023-03-07 at 1.59.42 PM.gif

As a workaround, perhaps you could prefill your form with the default value instead?  For example:
https://airtable.com/shrA7MAAqRKVdii9Z?prefill_Value=0

DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for the insight.  Good suggestion.  I did what you suggested, but to my Interface Designer "Create New Record" form.  This is the form that gets activated with clicking on the "+" on the Interface.  Unfortunately, the Default Values I entered are not being stored, and/or do not show up on this form.  To me it looks like a "bug".

DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The solution I discovered, was to write an Automation that filled the empty fields with my default value, after the record was created.  Record creation is my triggering event.  This works well since I am having the collaborators perform data entry via a designed Interface.  Thanks for your help!