cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Team_Dream_Jobs
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie and starting to understand how Airtable works. But I have a question I can’t seem to figure out. I’ve read through a few similar posts/answers but not exactly matching up to what I need.

I have two base tables: users and jobs. Both of these tables can grow infinitely. I need to associate users with jobs conditionally. Because both users and jobs will continue to grow, having an association column in either table isn’t the most efficient way to approach this. Instead, I simply want to select users and jobs where ‘x’ & ‘y’ conditions are met and insert that data into a third table. That way, my app can point back to the third table.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

5 Replies 5
Eli_Kent
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This interests me as well. I’m not sure of a way to do it in AT either. My hope is that I can use miniExtensions’ CSV download tool. Still not sure how it’s going to work, but I think with this tool it’s possible to schedule a regular download from specific views in an Airtable base and import into excel/sheets. I’d also have to figure out how to build something in excel that could accept and merge the two tables. Moe from miniExtensions seemed to think it was doable.

Also, Airtable is telling me to welcome you to the community, so, welcome to the community! lol

Hi @Eli_Kent,

Thanks for the welcome and feedback. Yikes, yet another tool to consider and integrate. If only there was a simple sql statement you can append to a table in AT, it would make all of this so much easier.

Eli_Kent
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

if you know javascript, you might could be able to use the script block. honestly, i’m pretty new with AT and this is the most advanced my computer skills have ever been. hoping that someone comes by with a simpler answer than mine.

Also, FWIW, when I started using AT I thought it would give me all I needed, but now I realize that to really make use of AT, I have to use external tools. It’s just part of it.

Hi guys, I think you’re referring to automatically linking records between different tables? Is this correct?

Airtable doesn’t support the automatic linking of records between bases based on field values.

All linking of records is done “manually” — meaning that records must be “explicitly” linked to one another by the user.

However, you can automate this “manual linking” by using Airtable’s new Automations feature. If the Automations feature on its own doesn’t have enough power for your needs, you can write your own custom JavaScript — and then trigger that JavaScript when certain conditions are met.

Alternatively, my favorite way of automating this process is by using Integromat or Zapier, although Integromat has more power & flexibility than Zapier.