893 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_Smith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way to capture info (metadata) about each table and each field? Just a short description of what purpose the table/field serves, or special notes like how to use/what not to do - that sort of thing.

5 Replies 5

Hey there! Where are you wanting to capture this?

You have a few options here, but the quickest/easiest way is just to create a metadata field (I think)…Unless anyone knows something I don’t ?

Alan_Smith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’ve got an existing and complex base, and want to add some useful documentation. I can see from questions like this - Metadata API for schema and mutating tables that is has been a topic for some time. Documentation is significantly more useful when it is to hand, i.e. you don’t have to go somewhere else to find it; it should be available where you are looking.

Therefore - If this gets anywhere near a product suggestion:

I would like to be able to rightclick on a table/field/link name and be able to add a text description.

Then when mouseing over these names, a clickable icon would show where descriptions have been added.

If you put such content into the description properties of your tables and fields, I think the Script Block can get at these properties using this Script Block.

How do I access the description properties pls?

See line 51 in @openside’s example script.