Help

Re: Is it possible to block/limit entry of data in a specific column?

Solved
Jump to Solution
1100 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cloe_Berthiaume
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, I am using masterdata tabs in my table to harmonise data.
My problem is that every time a user enters data manunally or automatically in specific columns linked with the masterdata, this may create junk data if not recognised by the masterdata list; thus requiring constant clean-up.
Is there any way I can block/limit the data entry for those specific columns linked to the masterdata ?
if YES, can you please provide a step by step
Thank you
Cloé

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thank you for the screen captures. The {Country of Origin} field in the [Film Purchases] tab/table is a lookup field. However, your screen capture does not show which field in the [Film Purchases] table contains the underlying linked record.

I’m also not sure which is “masterdata list 3”. I do not see a table or field with that name in your screen captures.

In which table do users create new lines/records? When they add linked records, should they be allowed to pick only from existing records in the linked table, or should they be allowed to create records in the linked table? If they create a new record in the linked table, do they need to edit the values in the new record?

Do you want people to enter data in a different field, and then check the {Country of Origin} field to see if it has the correct data in it? And then, if {Country of Origin} does not have the correct data, should they go enter data in the [Countries] table as well?

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8

Welcome to the community,

You want Field editing permissions. It requires a Pro or Enterprise subscription.

See the link for step by step instructions.

If this answers your question, please mark this post as the solution. Otherwise, could you please give a bit more details and a screen capture?

This is a fast answer, thank you!
I will dig in with my director to explore the Pro or Enterprise subscription.
We were wondering otherwise if a pop-up window could be created every time a user tries to enter data in those specific columns. Automated pop-up that could say, “please use masterdata list to fill in this column, bla bla”
So not necessarily restricted access but encouraging users to use cleaned data.

This is one idea, please share your thoughts should you think about something else.
Thank you
Cloé

Airtable does not have a built-in way to have a pop-up window.

However, if you have a Pro subscription and limit the table permissions to prevent creating new records in the linked table, users should still be able to create links to existing records, but not create new junk data.

If this answers your question, please mark this post as the solution. Otherwise, could you please give a bit more details and a screen capture?

Thank you again.
Here is the thing,

1. Users must be able to create new lineitems in the table and should be allowed to create/add/delete data as they upload automatically or manually new lineitems in the table
  2. I am looking for a tool that could help bring their attention to specific columns so they can validate if the automated/manually entered data corresponds to what’s in the masterdata list 3. if the newly entered data does not found the corresponding data in the masterdata list it will create the junk data; then they should be able to correct it and get the right data from the specific masterdata list.

does this help?

As an example:
Pict. 1: you see that the column “country of origin” is linked to a masterdata stored in a separated tab named “Country”

Pict. 2: you see the “country” tab that is the masterdata list linked to several other tabs in the table

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thank you for the screen captures. The {Country of Origin} field in the [Film Purchases] tab/table is a lookup field. However, your screen capture does not show which field in the [Film Purchases] table contains the underlying linked record.

I’m also not sure which is “masterdata list 3”. I do not see a table or field with that name in your screen captures.

In which table do users create new lines/records? When they add linked records, should they be allowed to pick only from existing records in the linked table, or should they be allowed to create records in the linked table? If they create a new record in the linked table, do they need to edit the values in the new record?

Do you want people to enter data in a different field, and then check the {Country of Origin} field to see if it has the correct data in it? And then, if {Country of Origin} does not have the correct data, should they go enter data in the [Countries] table as well?

Dear Kuovonne, thank you so much for your support. Is it possible to keep this communication opened until next Monday as I will have more time by then to reply to your very good questions ?

Are you able to unmark the solution? If so, this topic should stay open longer.

If you are not able to do that, if you create a new post every day, it should not be closed automatically.

It seems I can not “unmark” so I will create a post until Monday. Thanks.