Help

Re: Is there a way to filter a linked record so it doesn't show up in another tab based on a certain status (like "done")?

902 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maddy_French
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’ve tried to demonstrate what I’m looking for in this video: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

2 Replies 2
Nathaniel_Grano
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi @Maddy_French and welcome!

It seems like your difficulty stems from trying to use the the “Action Items/Notes” field for two purposes at the same time:

• You are using that field to help link a particular Note to a particular Client
  • You are also using that field to indicate that a particular Note is currently Active and not Done

I might suggest that you use the current field for only the second purpose and add another link field for the first purpose.

So from your Status table, you’d still have the “Action Item/Notes” column and now another link column perhaps named “Notes history.” In the Notes table, I would rename your “client” column to something like “Active Issue for” and then the new link column could be named “Client.”

With this solution:

1. When you create a new Note, you permanently link it to a Client in the Client field. The corresponding “Notes History” field in the Status table will eventually contain a collection of multiple Notes links as you add multiple notes for the client.
  2. While the note is active, link it to the client a second time in the “Active Issue for” field.
  3. When the note is resolved, remove the link from the “Active Issue for” field but leave the link in the “Client” field.

You could consider adding an Airtable automation that would delete that link for you automatically when a Note’s status is set to Done. You could also have automation establish the “Active Issue for” link in the first place rather than having to manually link the client entry in both columns.

Thanks so much for your help, Nathaniel! This helped me fix the stated problem and another related one in another base :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: You rock