cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suryaanem
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Newbie to Airtable! 3 days old 🙂 

I have a table where I capture list of all the work I am doing.  There is a numeric unique ID that is in the first field and the record has a number of columns 

Unique ID.  Col 1.  Col 2.  Col 3. Col 4. Col 5 

I created a table which has the following fields and a form submission will populate this table 

XYZ1   XYZ2     XYZ3      XYZ 4 ....etc

XYZ1 is linked to Col2. So when I create a form and try to use a drop down to select a value for XYZ1, I was hoping all the values in XYZ1 will be displayed but what is happening is the entire record is getting displayed rather than that field alone and XYZ1 has Unique ID value rather than the Col2 value. 

How do I get to the below stage.

When i submit the form, XYZ1 field should show me all the values in field Col2 and then display on that col in XYZ1

1 Reply 1
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

It sounds like you’re coming to Airtable from a professional relational database language like SQL, Microsoft Access, or FileMaker Pro (which is part of my consulting background as an expert database consultant). Now I provide expert Airtable consulting.

Airtable is a more basic database system, so it acts differently than other database languages on the market:

1. In Airtable, whenever you create a linked record field, you are linking to AN ENTIRE RECORD, not a specific column.

2. In Airtable, all linking must be done manually by you. There is no such thing as automatic linking of same values in Airtable.

3. Also, you do not need to create a unique ID for your first column… Airtable automatically creates a unique ID for each record for you.

Since you are brand new to Airtable, you may want to take my free Airtable training course, which you can take for free by signing up for a trial membership with LinkedIn Learning. Also, many Airtable consultants like myself are spending their time answering questions here.