cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric_Bryant1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there,

I work in the film industry and am trying to create a base to help me track my work.

I make graphics for sets.  A graphics might be something that hangs on the wall in a set, so it would be in every scene that's shot on that set.  Or it might be a prop like a newspaper, that only appears in ONE scene on that set.  I'm trying to build a schema that allows for both.  If a graphic is in every scene, I would like to have to enter it just once for the set, and have it somehow linked automatically to every scene that is on that set.  If a graphic in only in one scene, I'd like to have it listed in only that scene.

I've set up a demo base with linked tables for

Graphic

Scene

Set

Right now, the way it set up, the only way that I can set a graphic for all scenes on a set is to manually enter it for each scene.  I'm trying to figure out a way to automate this or to have a different schema that accomplishes it.  

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

https://airtable.com/invite/l?inviteId=invpMdQYwrpAoccDq&inviteToken=3c7707e7019bab9623b891c98c48b60...

2 Replies 2

Hm if I were you I think I'd add a linked field to "Set" in the "Graphic" table actually, and in "Scenes" I'd add a lookup field from "Set List" for the linked graphic

You'd end up with two fields in "Scenes" that displayed the "Graphic" data, and you could use a formula field to combine the two:

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 5.23.15 PM.png

Link to base

And if you didn't like how this looked and you wanted the "Scene" records to be linked to the "Graphic" records directly, you could add an automation at this point that triggered if the linked field to "Graphic" was empty and the lookup field was not empty, and its action would be to paste the value from the lookup field into the linked field, creating said link

You could also get rid of the link between "Graphic" and "Set" after the links to "Scene" are done via an automation as well!

Eric_Bryant1

Thanks!  I'm going to play with this.  I'll report back if it works.