cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Ochoa
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Airtable community,

I have a basic table for my content calendar base. In the simple table, I am categorizing each article we publish by Genre using the Single Select feature. I need to figure out a percentage formula that breaks down the total number of articles by genre and reflected in a percentage breakdown. In other words, I’d like a column that list, for example, 20% Rock Articles, 50% Rap Articles, 20% Pop articles.

Here’s how I have my table set up now.

Any suggestions now how I should begin this?

3 Replies 3
Nick_Dennis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would consider instead of using a single-select, creating a separate table called “Genres” and converting the single-select field to a linked field, linked to the new Genres table. This should create a bunch of Genre records, one for each unique value found in Single select.

Then on the Genres table, you’ll be able to see all the linked records associated with each genre. You could then do a rollup field to count the number of records in each genre.

You could also create a new Grid view for this simple first table, Grouped by genre. This would at least show at a glance how many articles are in each genre.

Getting the % breakdown might be slightly harder, but this is where I would start.

Hi @John_Ochoa and welcome to the community!

I don’t think there’s a possibility within Airtable itself, because there isn’t an option to count the number of records in a table. Scripting is an option, but not my expertise.

Welcome to the community, @John_Ochoa!

Unfortunately, Airtable doesn’t give us access to summary totals, which is what we would need to figure out percentages.

One possible workaround is that you could install the chart app, and create a pie chart of your genres. Oddly, Airtable doesn’t show you any of the percentages onscreen unless you hover your mouse over each pie piece, and then you can see the percentage for that piece.