Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Schedule for Live Events Crew

272 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZLEVY
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I help run a live event production company, mostly concerts and other performance events. I am trying to create a schedule for crewing my events. I want it to be organized by "Event" primarily, then "Position" (think stagehand, lighting, sound, etc) and then I would like to assign crew to each position. I have attached the Google Sheet I currently use for reference. 

I have already created my crew database as it's own table, as well as a table for events. 

I am brand new to Airtable so please explain as if I am a third grader. 

In addition to this, I would like to create a time sheet for each "Event", preferably auto-created when I create a new event, that auto fills with pay, position & crew member from the schedule, and I just have to input hours and then I can print that and send it to accounting. 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

1 Reply 1

If I were you I'd have another table called "Positions" where each record represents a single position and is linked to all the crew members that can do that job, as this would let me use dynamic filters (https://support.airtable.com/docs/dynamic-filtering-in-linked-record-fields).

For example, the "Crew" table would look like this:

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 2.45.10 PM.png

And the "Positions" table would look like this:

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 2.43.54 PM.png

I'd then have an "Event <> Positions" where each record represents a single position in a single event:

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 2.44.41 PM.png

And this would allow me to select the crew members that are in that position only:

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 2.46.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 2.46.04 PM.png

===
For the pay calculations, I would create a lookup field in "Event <> Position" to grab the pay/hour, and use a formula field to multiply that by the hours worked:

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 2.47.42 PM.png

The printing bit is subjective.  At this point you could use an Interface you've created for this purpose and print that, or you could use the Page Designer extension to hanlde that too: https://support.airtable.com/docs/page-designer-extension-overview

===
Another thing to note is that, if your Events mostly have the same positions, you can look into creating a Record Template that has all the pre-set positions for the event, and that way you can just apply that template and have all the Event <> Position records created automatically.  For example in the screenshot below, this template creates three records in "Event <> Positions" that's linked to the Event record:
1. One record with the position "Sound"
2. One record with the position "Stagehand"
3. One record with the position "Lighting"

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 2.49.22 PM.png

Screen Recording 2024-08-18 at 2.50.26 PM.gif

Link to base