1199 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cole_Hamel
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I’ve been wracking my brain for the past week, trying to figure out how I can calculate my teams hours spent on a particular job type.

I’ve imported our teams hours from our time tracking software via CSV file. Right now, I have the items grouped by Client > Project. I’ve filtered by “Project contains > web” Within is also how many hours were spent on that job. These groups are able to tell me the sum of all the hours, per group. What I need to know now, is how to calculate the average amount of time spent on a certain job type, for example, “web design”.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 10.58.14 AM

Like I said, been trying this for quite a while, with no results. Any help is much appreciated.

12 Replies 12

If you manually link your records to an another table, you can do what you want to do!

True, it would work, but the promise of database technology and the quest to develop analytics is largely based on a reasonable expectation that the automation golden goose will begin to pay dividends. In my view, once transaction data is captured, nothing thereafter should ever depend on manual interactions because humans do this so poorly.

We don’t have a clear sense for how many groups and clients would need to be linked manually, but if it’s more than 7 (that’s the magic number which I’ll happily expound on if asked), it’s going to result in disappointment.

One must ask (where manual tasks are required) - what is the cost of forgetfulness? In the world of business analytics, it could be sizeable when executive-level decision-making is based on incomplete data.

Right, but Airtable isn’t a fully-relational database system like FileMaker is.

I’m simply giving @Cole_Hamel solutions that are based on how Airtable currently functions.