1629 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Priscilla_Allen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way I can add the same record twice in a linked record field? I’m building a product sales database. When I have 2 of the same item in a customer order, I can’t figure out how to add the same item twice in the order record. I’d rather not have to track each order item individually on it’s own row because it becomes difficult to calculate the shipping costs for each item in the same order.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Airtable cannot link to the same record twice in the same field.

It sounds like you would need a junction table to hold the items in each order and the quantity of each item.

On the other hand, if ordering a second item is extremely rare, a workaround is to have a second record for the item in the products table. Airtable wouldn’t know that the items are really the same. The duplicate item can even have an identical name in Airtable (although I don’t recommend it).

If this answers your question, please mark this post as the solution. Otherwise, could you please give a bit more details and a screen capture?

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Airtable cannot link to the same record twice in the same field.

It sounds like you would need a junction table to hold the items in each order and the quantity of each item.

On the other hand, if ordering a second item is extremely rare, a workaround is to have a second record for the item in the products table. Airtable wouldn’t know that the items are really the same. The duplicate item can even have an identical name in Airtable (although I don’t recommend it).

If this answers your question, please mark this post as the solution. Otherwise, could you please give a bit more details and a screen capture?

Two of the same items is rare, so I’ll go with your second recommendation to have a second record for the item in the products table.

Thanks so much for your help!