2860 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abraham_Bochner
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

What is the API limit for Airtable Post/Patch requests?

It looks like the number is 10. Is that correct? Are there any ways to increase it?

4 Replies 4

Hey @Abraham_Bochner

When utilizing the Airtable Web API, there is a flat API request limit of 5 requests per second per base.
Beyond that API limit, some of the endpoints have certain limitations that you need to be aware of.

Here are some that I can think of off the top of my head:

API EndpointLimitation
List Records (GET)Results are paginated for calls that return more than 100 records.
Record Upserts (PATCH & PUT)A maximum of 10 records objects can be passed in the records array in the update or upsert request.
Update Record (PATCH & PUT)A maximum of 10 record objects to update can be passed in the records array in the request.
Create Records (POST)An array of up to 10 record objects can be passed.
Delete Records (DELETE)An array of up to 10 record IDs can be passed at a time.

If you're using scripting, there are also limitations on the number of times some of the methods on Airtable's built-in objects can be called. I'm not certain on the exact number, but as an example, I believe that if you call more than thirty asynchronous operations on a table object (think table.updateRecordAsync() or table.selectRecordAsync()), then the script will return an error.

There is not a way to increase your API request limits.
If you are consistently pushing your rate limits, you should consider implementing a caching layer to your data. There are many added benefits of doing so and it will allow you to comfortably scale your application(s) without having to worry about working around the API limits.

On nocodapi.com can you do more? 

No.
Even if you're using other tools as a way to make interacting with the Airtable API more accessible, those same tools are still going to be subject to the same limits as the average consumer.

What exactly are you trying to do with the Airtable API?

anthony_symkowi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, does anyone know when were these limits applied? We've had a javascript application running for a couple years and are just now starting to see the service fail with these new errors. I've been keeping up with the recent API key deprecation emails, but don't recall seeing anything about a new record limit for

delete();
update();

calls. Previously, we'd been able to delete/update  >10 records at a time without writing custom batching code. Is there a difference between Enterprise/Basic membership or a new route that avoids this limit? Thanks for any info you can provide!