cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathieu_baudonn
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,
I am trying to automate Airtable with JIRA using microsoft Flow. At my company we have restrictions that imposes that I use the Microsoft Solution.
I would like to create a JIRA ticket every time I created a record in my Airtable Table.

In microsoft flow I need a trigger to start the flow. Can someone know how to get the airtable trigger for when a new record is created?

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Microsoft Flow doesn’t support Airtable, but if it supports webhooks or email hooks, you could potentially automate something that way.

Ideally, you’d want to use an automation platform which supports both Airtable and JIRA, so you could use Integromat, which has full Airtable support and full JIRA support:

I’m a Registered Integromat Partner & Airtable consultant, so if you need help setting this up, please feel free to contact me through my website at scottworld.com.

Well, unfortunately I don’t really have much choice to use something else than Flow.

Do you have any documentation on webhooks that could help?
Will they solve my Airtable trigger problem?

Thank you anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

Microsoft would have the documentation on that.

A webhook is just a URL that is waiting to receive data from you. In Airtable, you could either write a script or create a button field that triggers that URL, and sends the data that you want within the parameters of the URL.

Typically, you would just send the record ID, and then use Airtable’s API to retrieve the rest of the data, but you could potentially add all the data you need within the parameters of the URL itself (and make sure that it is URL-encoded).

In the strictest of definitions, this is true. However, it supports Airtable with far better agility and more so the case than Airtable can claim it supports itself. :winking_face:

Ideally, perhaps, but it seems this is off the table for this user. Power Automate (formerly Microsoft Flow) is very powerful and it’s not irrational that your IT team has enforced this policy. It is extremely secure, reliable, integrated deeply into all that is Microsoft, and it provides a mature approach to integration architectures that scale and require no additional fees. The total cost of ownership for automated services is prepaid and fixed - even at massive scale.

Power Automate supports inbound webhooks and Airtable supports HTTP(s) API integrations using automated script actions or manually clicked buttons. Airtable Script Blocks and Custom Blocks can also make calls to Microsoft Power Automate webhooks.

Power Automate also supports outbound webhooks, but alas, Airtable doesn’t support inbound webhooks. To overcome this, you need a webhook proxy or you need to use the Airtable API (in Power Automate) to mimic a webhook action with Airtable.

All said, Power Automate integrates just dandy with Airtable in both directions and I’ve created solutions that utilize all of these approaches.

This is achieved through an Airtable script action.

Power Automate must be configured to listen for a script action from Airtable and then proceed to create the Jira ticket (which it is fully capable of doing). Since your IT team insists on using Power Automate, you should ask them to help you create that part of the process. Once they set up the webhook, then com back to this thread and ask for more clarity concerning the script action.

Thank you for this answer Bill.
I discussed with my IT team and they struggle to understand the workflow to set up the webhook.
Would you mind writing a quick tutorial on how to set up the webhook?
My team was keeping asking “how do I get the Airtable trigger to start my MS Flow?”
Sorry to bother but as a designer I don’t fully understand all that stuff.

Thank you in advance

That’s unfortunate since it’s (a) easy for those who know Power Automate, and (b) it’s their mandated platform.

An answer to this question can be described succinctly in one line of javascript code:

let response = await fetch(WEBHOOKURL?id=${data.ID});

I think @ScottWorld has one, knows of one, or is working on one, and yes, I would mind but not for usual reasons (lack of time).

The above line of code probably raises more questions than it answers. For starters…

• Where does “data” come from?
  • What is “ID”?
  • What’s in “response” and what do I do with it after the webhook is called?

These and many more questions clearly suggest there are additional factors that must be considered when guiding anyone or any team concerning integration approaches. Without detailed requirements and access to your environment, theoretical guidance will only land me and you in a long and drawn-out series of questions.

I recommend you have your IT team assist or you should probably consider engaging a professional who understands all that stuff. :winking_face:

I hope with all the stuff you wrote they should be able to set things up :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you guys

Yes, I am planning on creating a video training series on Automations (both native Airtable automations and external automations), and it will include webhooks and email hooks. :slightly_smiling_face: