Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Help using fetch() and Promise.all()

Topic Labels: Scripting extentions
Solved
Jump to Solution
339 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to use Promise.all to asynchronously get data from an array of urls. I’m fairly new to promises but as far as I understand the below code should work? The code executes but no response is logged from the promise.all

Promise.all(urls.map(u=>fetch(u,options))).then(response=>{
console.log(response[0])
}

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Greg_F
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi @Evergreen_Electrical ,

Welcome to Airtable community!

What you are missing is that the top level Promise needs to be resolved before the script ends:

const masterPromiseResolved = await Promise.all(
        urls.map(u=>fetch(u))).then(      
            responses=>{ responses.map(response=>console.log(response.status))}
            )

Note also that resolved Promise.all will return array of results, in this case “fetch responses”. Logging
a single fetch response (response[0]) doesn’t show anything interesting, so I changed it to response.status for each returned response.

I am guessing that likely you would like to log the actual data? That means even longer chain…

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json()))).then(      
            responseArrayWithData=> responseArrayWithData.map( data=> console.log(data))) 

or you can log it as a single object after resolving the Promise:

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json())))
console.log(masterPromiseResolved)    

Putting all those requests into a single Promise, does work much faster vs asynchronous requests. I tested with 5 requests. BTW, I wonder if there would be an upper limit of number of requests that Airtable script can generate :thinking: .

If the chain above gets too messy , there are not too many URLs (which respond before script timeout) and you want to reduce brain overhead → you always try a simpler slower async/await method, which is:

for (let url of urls) {
   const response = await fetch(url)
   console.log(await response.json())
}

I hope that helps!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Greg_F
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hi @Evergreen_Electrical ,

Welcome to Airtable community!

What you are missing is that the top level Promise needs to be resolved before the script ends:

urls.map(u=>fetch(u))).then(      
            responses=>{ responses.map(response=>console.log(response.status))}
            )

Note also that resolved Promise.all will return array of results, in this case “fetch responses”. Logging
a single fetch response (response[0]) doesn’t show anything interesting, so I changed it to response.status for each returned response.

I am guessing that likely you would like to log the actual data? That means even longer chain…

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json()))).then(      
            responseArrayWithData=> responseArrayWithData.map( data=> console.log(data))) 

or you can log it as a single object after resolving the Promise:

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json())))
console.log(masterPromiseResolved)    

Putting all those requests into a single Promise, does work much faster vs asynchronous requests. I tested with 5 requests. BTW, I wonder if there would be an upper limit of number of requests that Airtable script can generate :thinking: .

If the chain above gets too messy , there are not too many URLs (which respond before script timeout) and you want to reduce brain overhead → you always try a simpler slower async/await method, which is:

for (let url of urls) {
   const response = await fetch(url)
   console.log(await response.json())
}

I hope that helps!

Thanks so much Greg, this is exactly what I needed!

This is the final code I ended up using and then I iterate through the master promise. I was using fetch in a loop prior to this but was hitting the execution limit too frequently.

const masterPromise = await Promise.all(urls.map(u=>fetch(u,options).then(resp=>resp.json())))