Help

Re: Help using fetch() and Promise.all()

Solved
Jump to Solution
4948 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evergreen_Elect
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am trying to use Promise.all to asynchronously get data from an array of urls. I’m fairly new to promises but as far as I understand the below code should work? The code executes but no response is logged from the promise.all

Promise.all(urls.map(u=>fetch(u,options))).then(response=>{
console.log(response[0])
}

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Greg_F
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi @Evergreen_Electrical ,

Welcome to Airtable community!

What you are missing is that the top level Promise needs to be resolved before the script ends:

const masterPromiseResolved = await Promise.all(
        urls.map(u=>fetch(u))).then(      
            responses=>{ responses.map(response=>console.log(response.status))}
            )

Note also that resolved Promise.all will return array of results, in this case “fetch responses”. Logging
a single fetch response (response[0]) doesn’t show anything interesting, so I changed it to response.status for each returned response.

I am guessing that likely you would like to log the actual data? That means even longer chain…

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json()))).then(      
            responseArrayWithData=> responseArrayWithData.map( data=> console.log(data))) 

or you can log it as a single object after resolving the Promise:

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json())))
console.log(masterPromiseResolved)    

Putting all those requests into a single Promise, does work much faster vs asynchronous requests. I tested with 5 requests. BTW, I wonder if there would be an upper limit of number of requests that Airtable script can generate :thinking: .

If the chain above gets too messy , there are not too many URLs (which respond before script timeout) and you want to reduce brain overhead → you always try a simpler slower async/await method, which is:

for (let url of urls) {
   const response = await fetch(url)
   console.log(await response.json())
}

I hope that helps!

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Greg_F
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi @Evergreen_Electrical ,

Welcome to Airtable community!

What you are missing is that the top level Promise needs to be resolved before the script ends:

urls.map(u=>fetch(u))).then(      
            responses=>{ responses.map(response=>console.log(response.status))}
            )

Note also that resolved Promise.all will return array of results, in this case “fetch responses”. Logging
a single fetch response (response[0]) doesn’t show anything interesting, so I changed it to response.status for each returned response.

I am guessing that likely you would like to log the actual data? That means even longer chain…

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json()))).then(      
            responseArrayWithData=> responseArrayWithData.map( data=> console.log(data))) 

or you can log it as a single object after resolving the Promise:

urls.map(u=>fetch(u).then(response => response.json())))
console.log(masterPromiseResolved)    

Putting all those requests into a single Promise, does work much faster vs asynchronous requests. I tested with 5 requests. BTW, I wonder if there would be an upper limit of number of requests that Airtable script can generate :thinking: .

If the chain above gets too messy , there are not too many URLs (which respond before script timeout) and you want to reduce brain overhead → you always try a simpler slower async/await method, which is:

for (let url of urls) {
   const response = await fetch(url)
   console.log(await response.json())
}

I hope that helps!

Evergreen_Elect
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks so much Greg, this is exactly what I needed!

This is the final code I ended up using and then I iterate through the master promise. I was using fetch in a loop prior to this but was hitting the execution limit too frequently.

const masterPromise = await Promise.all(urls.map(u=>fetch(u,options).then(resp=>resp.json())))