Help

Re: How do I programatically get a base's record limit?

2649 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eugene_Kim
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

My Custom app syncs data from a 3rd party into a user’s Airtable base. Previously the app made an assumption that the user was at least using a Pro plan since apps were only allowed on Pro and Enterprise plans so I assumed I could sync up to 50,000 records.

Now that any plan can have an app, I need to detect the record limit for the base. Is there a way that I can do this?

Thank you

14 Replies 14

Precisely; it is not predictable. I have a hunch that there’s something in the scripting environment that will fail under a free account. If you could find that one little glitch where Airtable has overlooked an incompatibility of scripts with free accounts. Oddly, we need something that doesn’t work to detect what would work. :winking_face:

Are you looking for something that will fail for an editor (versus a creator)?

If you are a creator and try to create a field with an icon or color that isn’t available to free accounts, that will fail, whether you are using scripting or a custom app. However, the original poster was asking about a custom app, not scripting. In a custom app you can check the permissions without having to actually attempt creating the field.

Another option would be to look for something that is available only to pro accounts, such as the existence of a field with a paid icon or color, or a large number of records, or a particular type of view. However this method isn’t very good either because they might not exist in a pro base because they were not needed in the base, or they might exist in a free base because they were created before the base was moved into a free workspace.

Really, I think that asking the user is the best option.

Isn’t that all that’s needed - an indication of failure determines the account level.

It’s not ideal because invariably, that will change and then you need to plan for an update process to be certain of what’s possible in the custom app, right?

I think we’re in the world where no solution will be ideal since Airtable doesn’t provide us this knowledge ahead of time.

Sadly, this is true. Airtable is not known for thinking carefully about how aftermarket developers of solutions will create workflows that are commerce-centric.