Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Patch Request from google apps script

Topic Labels: API
Solved
Jump to Solution
891 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just can’t find the right way to format my request. I’m trying to update a single field in a single record. but keep hitting - INVALID_REQUEST_MISSING_FIELDS",“message”:"Could not find field “fields” in the request body

Getting data is fine.

After a few hours trying different things I’m asking for help what am I missing? Any help appreciated

API and Base ID Blanked out

function apiCall(){

var API_KEY = ‘XXXXXXXXX’;
var root = ‘https://api.airtable.com/v0’;

var baseId = ‘XXXXXXXXXXXX’;
var tableName = encodeURIComponent(‘Travels’);
var recordId = “recSaJTXSBu1g8CBd”
var endpoint = ‘/’ + baseId + ‘/’ + tableName + ‘/’ + recordId;

var params = {
‘method’: ‘PATCH’,
‘muteHttpExceptions’: true,
‘Content-Type’: ‘application/json’,
‘headers’: {
‘Authorization’: 'Bearer ’ + API_KEY
},

    "fields" : {
      "Declaration link": "https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13V8gO7511yJ0830IpiKXtfYfKeuVVSJ8uqbXR-9Ne8w/edit#gid=0"
     }

};

var response = UrlFetchApp.fetch(root + endpoint, params);
Logger.log(response.getContentText());
}

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Bill , I did have the record id but the code is not super readable on the forum. Also I had tried with the payload also but I was getting the same error. But your code helped me see what I think was the mistake. The content type was stored outside of the headers in my params.

for others working code below.

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 16.51.37

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3

I think you have at least two issues:

  1. The API requires a record ID to tell it which record should be patched.
  2. The fields element is freely floating in the params object but should be contained in a payload element and stringified. (see example)

image

Thanks Bill , I did have the record id but the code is not super readable on the forum. Also I had tried with the payload also but I was getting the same error. But your code helped me see what I think was the mistake. The content type was stored outside of the headers in my params.

for others working code below.

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 16.51.37

Use the preformatted text styler in the editor toolbar to format the code for easier reading. For multi-line code snippets, wrap the code in pairs of graves triplets → ```

Example:

```
// This is some code
let something = “Something”;
```

…becomes…

// This is some code
let something = "Something";