940 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brit_Miller
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all! I know that I cannot currently link two bases, and I also cannot currently limit permissions within a base to show users specific data, so I’m trying to find a workaround to my problem and am stuck.

I have a CRM built for our sales associates with various tables including Client Database, Interactions Log, Tasks, Transactions, etc. There is data I’d like my executive team to see that I don’t want visible in the sales CRM such as summaries of sales by individual person, # of new customers brought in by sales associates, $ amount in sales by person, etc. I want them to view their individual stats, but not have access to view everyone’s sales stats.

But, I want to summarize that data to make it visible to the executive team. My thought was to keep my CRM base as-is, and create a second base titled “Executive Base” that would show/summarize the higher-level data.

I attempted to make a zap that would create a new record in the Executive Base when a new record is added to the CRM base, and that is not working (receiving error message "The app returned “Could not find field ‘fields’ in the request body.”).

Is setting up a Zap the best workaround? Or am I missing something else completely that would work better?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Brit_Miller ,

We just launched to ability to sync records between bases! You can learn more about this brand new feature here: Announcing the Airtable Platform.

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8

You could custom-build your own syncing solution with Zapier/Integromat for this, but instead of worrying about syncing between bases, I would highly recommend just sticking with one base and using Stacker for this — which is precisely what Stacker was built for!

Awesome! I did actually create an account yesterday with Stacker and I don’t know if it was just being so far down the rabbit hole of trying to figure things out and my brain was giving up, but I couldn’t understand how to set it up exactly. Maybe I just need more time in Stacker to familiarize myself with it, but do you think it would be able to act as the Executive Base and summarize data + stay in sync with the Airtable CRM the sales associates would be using?

Thanks!

Oh, I was specifically referring to Stacker’s ability to let people log in and view their own individual stats — without seeing other people’s stats.

As far as whether Stacker can show the specific summary data that you’re looking for, I think that you would need to be able to display that data in Airtable fields before Stacker would be able to show it. (I don’t know if Stacker supports “grouping & auto-summarizing records” like Airtable does, so perhaps you can ask them and report back here.)

Alternatively, it would be easier & cheaper to stay within the Airtable interface itself, If you can build your own summary information using the different types of Airtable blocks that are available to you. Very soon, you will be able to share those blocks with people. That would probably be the easiest way to do it, if the Airtable blocks support what you’re looking for. You may want to email support@airtable.com to see if you can join the beta test for sharing blocks.

Ah I see what you were referring to now! Yes, I noticed Stacker does allow those varying view permissions, but unfortunately doesn’t offer the intuitive grouping/filtering functions like Airtable, and I don’t believe has the capability to have dynamic/conditional forms for sales associates to input data into the CRM.

I would love to stay within the Airtable interface, I just can’t figure out a way to solve this problem. I have blocks set up in my CRM base that summarizes info for sales associates, but still have the issue that I’d like to have more summaries that is only viewable for the executive team.

For example, I have a summary of “open opportunities” currently logged in the CRM - that is OK for everyone to see. But if I want to have a summary of “Sales generated by each sales associate” - that I would need only visible to the executive team :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey guys –

Founder of Stacker here!

Depending on exactly what you want to do, we usually do have a good way to roll update to group and summarize tings.

We also definitely have conditional/dynamic forms, and loads of folks using Stacker to make really usable CRMs with all the power of Airtable behind them.

Sign up, and then drop us a line in support and we’ll give you a hand getting it set up!

Hi Michael! That is great to know! I’ll definitely send a message to support, I’m really hoping the Stacker + Airtable combo can solve my issues :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks so much!

Hi @Michael_Skelly, can you explain this more? I didn’t realize that Stacker had conditional/dynamic forms, which is consistently one of the biggest & ongoing requests in these forums! I also didn’t realize that you can group & summarize records in Stacker, but that’s great. It would be awesome if your website had demo videos of these features, or just a list of complete features in general! Some way to really grasp all the power that Stacker has to offer us! :slightly_smiling_face:

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Brit_Miller ,

We just launched to ability to sync records between bases! You can learn more about this brand new feature here: Announcing the Airtable Platform.