Help

Simple Script: update field using another field.

Topic Labels: Scripting
Solved
Jump to Solution
1619 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
byrnes
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello everyone! Relatively new to scripts, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it.

Basically, I am trying to convert a currently overloaded automation into a script for easier maintenance and better customization. Overly simplified automation process:
If record is updated > set [Ticket Status] = [Status] for that record

The script so far:

let table = base.getTable("Quick Adds");
let inputConfig = input.config();
await table.updateRecordAsync(inputConfig.RecordId,{
    "Ticket Status" : inputConfig.Status
})
console.log(`The value of Status is ${inputConfig.Status}`);

If I remove the "await" line, everything runs and it outputs the status value. When I run the script with the addition of updating the second field, I get a "Error: Field "fldjRCz6y0ku2XxIY" cannot accept the provided value." for line 3.

inputConfig.RecordID is the @ Airtable record ID field
inputConfig.Status is the Status field
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @byrnes

Based on some clues in your post, I presume you're trying to write a string value (single line text, multiple line text, some formula field outputs, etc.) to a single-select field.

With that in mind, your fields probably look something along the lines of this:

Ben_Young1_1-1700250647099.png

The error you're seeing is returned when you're trying to write a value to a field that doesn't accept the data in the form that you're attempting to write. Specifically, in order to write to a single-select field, we need to provide our data in a choice object. Don't worry about understanding exactly what that means, especially if you're just getting started with writing your own scripts.

Here's how I tackled this in my own sandbox.

const { recordId } = input.config();

const table = base.getTable('tbl8IoXvVmOrOhGdq');
const fields = {
  ticketStatus: 'fldVWU2ermKC8XSvW'
};

let record = await table.selectRecordAsync(recordId);

await table.updateRecordAsync(recordId, {
  [fields.ticketStatus]: { name: record.getCellValueAsString(fields.status) } 
});

If you want to use this script, you'll need to swap out the table and field ids, but other than that, it's plug-and-play.

To understand how to write data to a single-select field (or any field), you'll want to refer to the Airtable Scripting API documentation.

To write data to a single-select field, we need to provide a choice object with an id or name property defined.

{ id: string } | { name: string }

The documentation indicates that regardless of which one we choose to provide, it must be a string.
I've opted to use the name property in my script, as it's a bit cumbersome to get the choice id of the different options configured in your field.

Ben_Young1_2-1700251796616.png

If you log a field object to the console, you'll see that a single-select field contains an options object. This object returns an array of choice objects, where each object contains the id and name of each option configured into your single-select field. The choice object id can be identified by its sel... prefix.

Looking back at my script, we can focus in on this block:

});

Since I already included the field id of the Ticket Status field in the fields object, I can reference that value using a computed property name ([fields.ticketStatus]).

For the value, I build my choice object and define the name property and assign it a value of the status field, which I get by calling the record.getCellValueAsString method.

With that, here is my result after a test run: 

Ben_Young1_3-1700252275943.png

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @byrnes

Based on some clues in your post, I presume you're trying to write a string value (single line text, multiple line text, some formula field outputs, etc.) to a single-select field.

With that in mind, your fields probably look something along the lines of this:

Ben_Young1_1-1700250647099.png

The error you're seeing is returned when you're trying to write a value to a field that doesn't accept the data in the form that you're attempting to write. Specifically, in order to write to a single-select field, we need to provide our data in a choice object. Don't worry about understanding exactly what that means, especially if you're just getting started with writing your own scripts.

Here's how I tackled this in my own sandbox.

const { recordId } = input.config();

const table = base.getTable('tbl8IoXvVmOrOhGdq');
const fields = {
  ticketStatus: 'fldVWU2ermKC8XSvW'
};

let record = await table.selectRecordAsync(recordId);

});

If you want to use this script, you'll need to swap out the table and field ids, but other than that, it's plug-and-play.

To understand how to write data to a single-select field (or any field), you'll want to refer to the Airtable Scripting API documentation.

To write data to a single-select field, we need to provide a choice object with an id or name property defined.

{ id: string } | { name: string }

The documentation indicates that regardless of which one we choose to provide, it must be a string.
I've opted to use the name property in my script, as it's a bit cumbersome to get the choice id of the different options configured in your field.

Ben_Young1_2-1700251796616.png

If you log a field object to the console, you'll see that a single-select field contains an options object. This object returns an array of choice objects, where each object contains the id and name of each option configured into your single-select field. The choice object id can be identified by its sel... prefix.

Looking back at my script, we can focus in on this block:

});

Since I already included the field id of the Ticket Status field in the fields object, I can reference that value using a computed property name ([fields.ticketStatus]).

For the value, I build my choice object and define the name property and assign it a value of the status field, which I get by calling the record.getCellValueAsString method.

With that, here is my result after a test run: 

Ben_Young1_3-1700252275943.png