2063 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The_Focus_Forwa
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there, I work for a prison education nonprofit that works with people facing federal crimes. We want to be able to send legal updates and resources to graduates of our classes, and use Airtable to track those graduates. We want to keep our records updated as to when graduates of our classes are transferred to a new federal prison, had their release date changed, or been released.

Anyone incarcerated in federal prison is given a register number. You can use that number to get release date and location data from this API. We’ve been using a combination of Python scripts to do this but it’s been clunky and buggy because I’m not that great at Python (frankly I’m not that great at coding, period, but I’m learning). I think we can do this more efficiently with a script in Airtable.

Here’s the one catch: every once in a while, someone puts in the wrong register number for our graduates. Is there a way to show values returned from an API side by side with the current values in the Airtable record and prompt the user to confirm that they want the script to overwrite the current Airtable value with the ones it pulled from the API? That way if there’s a typo in the register number, we’ll see it because it’s someone else’s name in the API data.

Thanks!

10 Replies 10

I don’t think that is possible using the scripting block. Having too many options in the single select field is indicative of a suboptimal table design. Why don’t you create a separate table that contains details of Federal prisons and then link your Participants table against that. If you do this then you will be able to add a new row to the Prisons table if it doesn’t already exist.