Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Calculate the incremental addition of numbers in a column?

Topic Labels: Formulas
2329 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a download column with 1 number each day. I want to have the total number of download from the beginning from each day that is incremented.

Anyone can help ?

4 Replies 4

Check this out. I think it can help

Actually, I don’t think it can (saying that as the one who wrote it). It look like @Admin_CMV wants a running total in a separate column, whereas my solution in the linked post addresses a totally different issue.

Making a running total in Airtable—whether it’s for downloads, a checkbook register, or anything else—can be done, but it’s tricky to set up. Airtable records (rows) have no knowledge of each other because, from a database perspective, record order is irrelevant. Records are all about maintaining a consistent internal data structure across all records, regardless of order. However, people coming from a spreadsheet paradigm see Airtable’s default grid view and often assume that most (if not all) of the things they could do simply in a spreadsheet—including running totals, arbitrary cell referencing, etc.—can also be done in Airtable. The reality is that not all spreadsheet concepts cross over to a database with ease, if at all.

Anyway, I did say that it’s possible in Airtable with some tricky setup. Here’s a post that describes the setup involved:

@Justin_Barrett - you’re right. I didn’t read the original very well.

Thanks. A. Lot.
That is above tricky, but I will make it work.
I get the point that AirTable is not Excel, which is perfectly fine with me :winking_face: