Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Cannot Trim Lookup from Linked Record

Topic Labels: Formulas
Solved
Jump to Solution
303 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The TRIM function doesn’t seem to work when referencing a Lookup field in a Linked Record. Every time I try to trim the data that’s passed from a lookup in a linked record, my formulas return #Error. Here’s the formula at fault:

TRIM({AMID (from link)})&"-"&TRIM({AMID})
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the community, @Ryan_Reich!

Lookups are arrays, so they can’t be trimmed because they’re not a text string. But you can turn a lookup into a text string by adding empty text to it like this:

TRIM({AMID (from link)}&"")&"-"&TRIM({AMID})

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5

Welcome to the community, @Ryan_Reich!

Lookups are arrays, so they can’t be trimmed because they’re not a text string. But you can turn a lookup into a text string by adding empty text to it like this:

TRIM({AMID (from link)}&"")&"-"&TRIM({AMID})

Thanks for the response. I’m confused about why the lookup field is treated as an array when it seems like it’s just copying data from a cell attributed to another record. Shouldn’t it be treating that data the same as the original?

Lookup fields are an array because they are pulling data based on a LinkToAnotherRecord field, and those fields are arrays. Even if the record in question is only linked to one record, the value for a LinkToAnotherRecord field is always an array.

Welcome to the community, @Ryan_Reich! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I made a cheatsheet (a table) that lists all field types and how they’re treated by Airtable when rolled up. Most of the time they’re going to be arrays, but there are a few cases where Airtable treats them—for the purposes of formulas, at least—as single values when only a single record is looked up.

Thanks! This is really helpful!