3009 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vignisson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

does anyone know a way to convert hexadecimal values to actual color names (or the nearest neighbour).

Examples:
#ffffff = white
#eeeeee = light grey
#45c1f6 = light blue

11 Replies 11

This is indeed a treasure, thank you so much @Jeremy_Oglesby! As @Bill.French suggests it’s very easy to perform a look up on this. And it is grouped by “Color family” which is ALMOST what I was hoping for. My guess is that with a little observation I could just simplify the Color family description by joining some of them, resulting in 12-15 “families” that I could perform a lookup on. :nerd_face:
I’m sure this base will also be worth hanging on to for other scenarios in different projects. :ok_hand:

This little video from the Stitch Fix Article I posted describes the intention of the hierarchy (really interesting article, btw – whether you are into fashion or not, their data-science team is top-notch):

CleanShot 2020-10-19 at 10.29.41

So the color names in the xkcd_colors field are all unique - 949 of them (some of them are less than savory names, since they were named via internet polling :winking_face: ). Those are grouped to a nearest design_color, presumably so that Stitch Fix could 1) reduce the field of color names to provide more clarity for its design team, and 2) provide more appropriate and marketable names in many cases. Then the design_colors are grouped back to a nearest common_color, to reduce the field of names further, and provide a simple scheme. Finally, those are grouped back to a color_family.

The color_type and color_or_neutral are more descriptive tags than part of the hierarchy themselves.

So really, this data could probably be even more useful if it were broken up into related tables:

• XKCD Colors Table

• Each belongs to a Design Color
  • Design Colors Table

• Each has many XKCD Colors
    • Each belongs to a Common Color
  • Common Colors Table

• Each has many Design Colors
    • Each belongs to a Color Family
  • Color Families Table

• Each has many Common Colors