371 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_McDowell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Happy New Year, Airtabletons. I hope 2022 is good to you all.

Here is my scenario. I have a table which is populated with all our employees, freelancers and contacts. Using a combination of manual entry and linked records I then populate a 2nd table with only our employees and freelancers which is then used to construct an org chart.

My question is, is there a way to automatically copy the contents of a cell from the master table to the 2nd table IF the record contains a certain company name within it’s record?

So for example: If a record within TableA contains “CompanyA” or “CompanyB” I want to have the first cell of that record entered into a new line on TableB.

I hope that makes sense guys.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Dean_McDowell! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I would recommend reconsidering the design to use a view to isolate freelancers and employees in your main table. It’s better to have one source of truth for your data instead of duplicating it across multiple tables.

I’m guessing that you’ve got each person marked (possibly with a single-select field) as “Employee,” “Freelancer”, etc. That would make it easy to create a view filter that only shows specific types of people. You could then use that view to create the org chart.

Thanks for the response Justin. This is a far better solution.

I was very reluctant work from secondary table but I wasn’t aware I could create an org chart from a View.

I will have a play about with this.

Fantastic stuff Justin, much appreciated.