cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Borys_Piasny
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi guys,
I’m very new to Airtable. It is a marvelous tool but it’s a bit different than excel which i use my whole life. It left me confused with some formulas that seem easy in Excel.

Background
I’m trying to make an automated contracts form. I constructed a few databases

• A freelancer’s database with all data like address, fields of expertise etc.
  • A project database. Each row contains a project name, member of a team , budget per member, few columns from Freelancer database - field of expertise etc.
  • A contract database with project start and finish date, project scope. And the thing i have the most problem with is the contract number.

Problem:
Contract number is formatted like this: number of contract/ project name / yearI need to count the order of occurrence of duplicates to make multiple contracts in the same project numbered in ascending order.

In excel it would be like this

Capture
*Names are from airtable template

After that i will try to export all of this data as a PDF file with completed unique data for every contract: contractor data, contract date, deadline, project scope, payment, etc.The rest of the contract changes very rarely.

I haven’t researched this yet but i hope it’s possible one way or another.

Thanks for help

1 Reply 1
augmented
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Borys. I’m thinking you could get close to this with a few concessions. First, allow the contract number in an individual project to be ascending, but not 1,2,3,4,5 for example. What if they were always ascending but not consecutive? They would still sort fine with a little help.

You could use the autonumber field, along with a formatting formula to generate a 4 digit contract number (e.g. 0001,0021,0765,etc).

This way you wouldn’t need to count, just let the autonumber keep giving you a new (always increasing) integer that you then format so that sorting is correct later.

Just a thought.