1166 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karen_Larson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Need a little help…I have created a column that I want to contain a street address and city, pulling this from two existing columns. I was able to create a concatenate formula to add those two columns together but the resulting text is not separated by a comma. I need to figure out how to separate the street address and city with a comma. For example, I want the text to read 123 Main Street, Chicago but with my current formula it reads 123 Main StreetChicago. Any help is much appreciated. My current formula looks like this … CONCATENATE(Address,City)

4 Replies 4

Hi @Karen_Larson - try this:

Address & ', ' & City

& is an alternative to CONCATENATE. Here you’re joining the Address, with “comma space” and the City.

JB

Karen_Larson

Totally worked - I made it too hard! Thank you so much!

You were on the right track - CONCATENATE({Address}, ", ", {City}) works just fine as well, although, it’s certainly not as readable.

Possible Performance Issue

Under the covers there’s [likely] a Java compiler that is handling concatenation differently for the function vs the plus (&) method. Typically, if concatenating more than five strings, & is generally much faster and the difference can be sizeable with large record sets. The greater the number of strings, the slower CONCATENATE() will be compared to &.

Then “&” I will use from now on! Thank you Bill!