611 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caitlyn_Irwin
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm trying to set up an automated email to send clients after their first booking with my business. What formula can I use to identify if the record (booking) is the first one for that client (linked record from another table)?

I don't want to manually check a box to trigger the automation, as that means first manually checking if it is their first booking, and that defeats the purpose.

All I can think of is something like;

IF Booking Count = 0 at time of Record Created, then = YES

Any ideas on how this can be done? Let me know if you need more information.

3 Replies 3
RdMedia_srl
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

you can have something like this

this is your BOOKINGS table

Schermata 2023-04-20 alle 14.56.45.png

This is your CLIENTS table

Schermata 2023-04-20 alle 14.57.05.png

here you have a "Counter" number field and Calculation formula field with this formula

{Counter}+1

then you have this automation that trigger as soon as new record is created in the "BOOKINGS" table
then find the RECORD ID of the clients
and lastly update the COUNTER field of the client
ONLY if the counter contains 0 it will send the email to the client

Schermata 2023-04-20 alle 14.58.21.png

update of the Counter field of CLIENTS table
Schermata 2023-04-20 alle 15.02.24.png

this is the logical condition for sending email

Schermata 2023-04-20 alle 15.03.07.png

Rodolfo - RdMedia
Jason_Hill
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Similarly, I use views to accomplish a very similar process. When a record is created, it does not have the "checkbox" checked. I have a view that is filtered by all records that do not have the "checkbox" checked. An automation is then triggered when records enter that view. Once the email is sent, the automation checks the box, and poof, the record leaves that view. If working correctly, when I look at that view, it should be empty since the automation is doing its job and clearing it. If I see records in there, I know my automation is turned off or broken. Views and automations can be pretty powerful if used in combination with filters.

TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I'm assuming you have a "Clients" table and a "Bookings" table and they're linked?

If so, try creating a "Count" field in the "Clients" table to see how many booking records are linked.  Then make an automation that'll trigger when said "Count" field's value is 1, and make its action to send the email?  Don't think you need a formula field