1037 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Burke1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello! I recently got into canning (and general food preservation). I have created a database which helps me manage my inventory levels of products I have canned (Example: Jars of: Carrots, Green Beans, Jams, Jelly, etc). In my table where I record batch information - I am recorded the date I created that batch of product. I’d like to have a column (called Age) that returns the age of the product (batch) in #.## format. For example: If I created a batch of product today, it’s age should read: “0.00” meaning its 0 years and 0 months old. If I created a batch 1 year ago, I’d like it to say “1.00” because it’s a year old. If I created a batch ‘days short of it being 2 yrs old’, I’d like it to say “1.11” because it’s 1 year old and 11 months. Any help would be greately appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

And if you want two digits after the period, here’s the update for that:

DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "years") & "." & REPT("0", 2-LEN("" & MOD(DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "months"), 12))) & MOD(DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "months"), 12)

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7

This should work:

DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "years") & "." & DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "months")

Replace both instances of {Date} with the name of the date field where you store the date it was canned.

Hi Justin,

This is similar to what I did earlier but it returns the same problem. For 13 months, it should read: “1.01” instead it says “1.13”. Any ideas?

So for example, the only values it should ever be… are…

and so on…

Sorry. I’ll admit I was rushing a bit in my test and didn’t go very far back. Here’s an update that works correctly for old dates:

DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "years") & "." & MOD(DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "months"), 12)

Not a problem at all, I really appreciate the help! It works beautifully! Thank you so much!

And if you want two digits after the period, here’s the update for that:

DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "years") & "." & REPT("0", 2-LEN("" & MOD(DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "months"), 12))) & MOD(DATETIME_DIFF(NOW(), Date, "months"), 12)

Oh, perfect! I didn’t even catch that (yes, I wanted the two digits). I have updated the formula and it’s working great! Btw, saw you had a YouTube channel, I just subscribed! :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks again for all the help!