Help

How to Cross-Check Linked Records (a Record Has No Links)

Topic Labels: Formulas
491 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anna_Yang
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I keep track of articles that I publish online and their internal links to other articles I’ve written. So the table is structured like this:

Field 1: Article Name
Field 2: Related field with multiple select, choosing articles from Field 1

In real life, it’s something like this:

Article 1 has internal links of Articles 2, 3, and 4
Article 7 has internal links of Articles 1, 3, and 2

I want to know which records from Field 1 do not exist in Field 2. In other words, which articles have I published that have not been internally linked in anything else I’ve written. In the above, Article 7 would be an example of the data returned - it has not been an internal link of another article (exists in Field 1 but not in Field 2).

I’ve tried a few different things but can’t quite get the results I’m looking for.

Can anyone help?

1 Reply 1

Hi @Anna_Yang, this would be pretty easy to do if Field 2 was a linked field to another table instead of the same table, and so I think if I were you I’d just end up with two tables:

1. Articles
  2. Links

And the two tables would both contain all the articles ever written, probably maintained by an automation or something

The workflow would then become:

1. In Articles, set the links via the linked field to the Links table
  2. Whenever the links get updated, trigger an automation that would then do a Find Record action to find all the records that aren’t linked to the triggering record and that does not share the same name as the triggering record
  3. Update a field with that result

Which gives you the following:
find unlinked