Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noel_Bolger
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If a date and time field is not blank then copy to date column

8 Replies 8

Your question is incomplete. In fact, it’s technically not even a question. Could you be more specific about what you want to do?

Considering the category where you started this thread, I’ll say this: a formula can’t copy data to other fields. It can only use the data to drive its own output.

You answered the question I was asking, I am using AppSheet to bring in times, then I want to copy from column DateTime to column Date as they come in, its a bit messy but I had trouble connecting an existing table to Appsheet and using a second table to bring in data. Any workaround? I couldn’t find a way to automate either.

question

I’m still not sure that I understand the need to copy a date between fields. If AppSheet is already adding the date to one field, why can’t you use that? What does copying the date to a second field allow you to do that the existing date field cannot do?

They are from different entry points, date purchased come from forms collecting receipts and is used for grouping and filters. Start and end date come from appsheet and are service costs and show on calendar as logged time, they come through a new table into a main table. I want to group and filter using only one date column, date purchased, so I want to push finish time into date purchased to group by time. I didn’t think it would be an issue, airtable seems to very flexible.

Noel Bolger

So you already have a date coming into the {Date Purchased} field…

…but you want to change that to a different date. Am I reading that correctly?

Are these date fields on the same table, or different tables? From what I read in your description, they might be different tables.

It is very flexible, but it also has certain limitations. Before I can suggest a path of action, I need to make sure that I have a clear picture of a) the structure of your base, and b) what you’re trying to accomplish within that structure. Copying a date between two fields in the same table is a different process than copying a date between fields in different tables. Also, if there’s a link between records in the related tables (assuming for now that they might be different), you might be able to use a lookup field instead of literally copying the date from one table to another.

Justin_Barrett Community Leader
August 25

Noel_Bolger:

They are from different entry points, date purchased come from forms collecting receipts and is used for grouping and filters.

So you already have a date coming into the {Date Purchased} field

Correct, this field is only populated from form entries, therefore the rows coming in from AppSheet will have blank {date purchased} fields.

Correct

Noel_Bolger:

I want to push finish time into date purchased to group by time.

…but you want to change that to a different date. Am I reading that correctly?

Not change, If the date purchased is empty, this row will be an appsheet entry from a phone, the finish time is would then be copyed into the date puchased, this will keep at least one date field populated in the table from both entry points. This field will be used to group transactions by day week and month etc

Are these date fields on the same table, or different tables? From what I read in your description, they might be different tables.

I am merging tables, Date purchased is the field in the existing transaction table, I now have a new table to collect inputs from AppSheet mobile apps, I am using automation to bring in the data to this existing table.

Here is the scenario
Table 1
Form = item, date purchased,
Table 2
Appsheet = service, start datetime, finish datetime,

Merge table 2 with table 1, use the existing date purchased for grouping all rows

Noel_Bolger:

I didn’t think it would be an issue, airtable seems to very flexible.

It is very flexible, but it also has certain limitations. Before I can suggest a path of action, I need to make sure that I have a clear picture of a) the structure of your base, and b) what you’re trying to accomplish within that structure. Copying a date between two fields in the same table is a different process than copying a date between fields in different tables. Also, if there’s a link between records in the related tables (assuming for now that they might be different), you might be able to use a lookup field instead of literally copying the date from one table to another.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Noel_Bolger
August 25

They are from different entry points, date purchased come from forms collecting receipts and is used for grouping and filters. Start and end date come from appsheet and are service costs and show on calendar as logged time, they come through a new table into a main table. I want to group and filter …

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

e8ac224ba9ee97e87670ed6f3a2f0128b7af9fe4.gif

Okay, things are starting to clear up. I’m going to guess that your automation runs when new records are created by AppSheet in [Table 2]. In the automation, are you adding a new record to [Table 1], and then copying data from the AppSheet-created record into the one made by the automation? If so, you wouldn’t even need to check and see if {Date Purchased} is empty because the automation is creating the new record, so you know that it’s part of the process of migrating between tables. Add a new step to the automation to copy the {Start Datetime} field value into {Date Purchased} of the new record, and that should do it.

Thanks
I think that will work but it looks like it might need some extra views set up because Table 2 updates from the app, thanks for your help.

Regards

Noel Bolger

m 0404396597
e carpentryplex@gmail.com

w Website

f80f18bdd0e526649e830c6aa620931023336873.png | d28dd3092be6f39d552530c566cb1d42ad99fe07.gifea3337028c50971c0e1043b1dc42e959097c62ee.png |

• | - |

e8ac224ba9ee97e87670ed6f3a2f0128b7af9fe4.gif