1432 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holly_Williams
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi! I’ve recently begun using Airtable for record keeping and project management. I have been able to do all kinds of fantastic things so far and am really loving Airtable. Most questions I’ve been able to find a previous discussion about and solution for, however, I’m stuck on this problem:

I have two tables, [Tasks] and [TaskLog]. [Tasks] has a {Status} column, as well as a column for {StatusUpdated}, which lists every date that I’ve updated the status for a particular task. Example: If I updated a task from Pending to In Progress to Complete on three different days, it would include those three dates.

On [TaskLog], I link to the individual tasks I worked on that day. This works well but has to be done manually.

What I would like to do is for [TaskLog] to be able to auto-link to [Tasks] if any of the dates in {Tasks::StatusUpdated} matches the {Date} in [TaskLog].

Does that make sense? I know that part of the reason I haven’t been able to find the answer from searching may be that I’m not using the correct terminology to search for or describe it properly. Thanks in advance for any help! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Holly_Williams! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Unfortunately Airtable doesn’t have any kind of auto-linking capability. All links must be made manually, or with the help of the API (including using tools like Zapier or Integromat).

How are you currently adding the various status-change dates to the {StatusUpdated} field? My gut says you’re already using one of those aforementioned tools to pull this off, in which case you could probably expand the solution to create the link from that task record over to the date record in [TaskLog]. If I’m jumping to an incorrect conclusion, would you mind sharing details about how that’s currently operating?

Thanks, @Justin_Barrett! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: I’ll see if I can get something working with Zapier, and I’m excited to try out Integromat as well!

For the {StatusUpdated} field, I’m using the “Last modified time” field type, and selecting the specific field {Status}. The purpose of that column is mostly to be able to catch things that might be at risk of falling through the cracks. Airtable seems to be far better at preventing that from happening than any other project management system I’ve tried so far!