640 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Himsey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Greetings All. I am new to Airtable, but getting around pretty well. I have a Base with multiple tables. I am trying to automate Prospect tracking as much as possible. I have a situation where when I enter a Zip Code I want it to populate a District, Regions, POC Name, POC Email, and POC Phone. I was able to do that with Zips I coded with a linked table and associated lookups. However, I had to restructure the table and index by District rather than zip. I just cant figure out how to do a sort of VLOOKUP function based on Zips in Airtable because the zips are no longer the index on the table.

So, I figured I could use formulas instead. This is the full text of my formula:

“If the value from the “Zip Code” column in the “Prospects” table appears in the “Zips” column on the “List of Districts” table, then enter the value in the “District” column of the same “List of Districts” table.”

My issue is I cannot write the formula to save my life!! Is this possible? I have tried all kinds of operators, and linked items, but it just does not seem like I am doing it right.

4 Replies 4
Michelle_Flitcr
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey Jason!

You can leverage this with Automations and would be much easier to set up! Here is how I would set it up:

• Automation Trigger: when a record matches conditions - and your conditions would be whenever your Zipcode field is not empty
  • Automation Action #1: Find Record in District table based on condition. Condition = where the Zip code matches a zip code in the District table
  • Automation Action #2: Updated Record from Trigger step and plug in the District Name from your Find Record Step into the Prospects table. (then you can leverage the lookup fields like you previously had it)

If that doesnt work, you can also try to concatenate your primary field in the Districts table to reflect the ZIP + District Name as well. This would only work if you are typing in the Zip as it will narrow down your options, but may not be 100% full proof.

Hopefully this helps! :crossed_fingers:

Jason_Himsey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Michelle,

This is great gouge. I am running into an issue on the 1st Automation Action. It may not work as the Zip column in the District table is a multi-select. and the 2nd Automation Action you describe makes sense in theory, but I cannot get it to work…probably due to my understanding or lack thereof.

I’d be happy to give you access to my Base to see if I have things laid out properly, or if this solution is the right one.

Hey Jason,

We have a VLOOKUP function in our On2Air Actions app

The Actions app also includes an additional 60+ features that enhance Airtable.

Features like creating Google Docs automatically with Airtable data, default field values, financial calculations, compare field data, Google Sheets record and table sync, and more. You can see the list below.

Hi,
you can add formula column to {Zip} (and hide it if needed) which will repeat it’s contents in “string mode”, so it can be used in step1 in condition “contains [Your entered zipcode from trigger]”