495 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mshah72
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am facing difficulty in prefilling forms with 'Link to another record data type'

Data is occasionally getting printed when the data type is 'Link to another record' with 'Allow linking to multiple records' switched 'ON'

mshah72_0-1709137006213.png

What changes should I make so that it works well?

7 Replies 7

I can't remember the bug specifically, but there is some sort of a bug in Airtable that prevents the prefilling of linked records.

If I remember correctly, if you have certain rules set on your linked record field (in the right margin of the interface form editing screen), then you are no longer able to prefill the form through the URL.

So try removing all the rules in the right margin, and see if that fixes the problem.

If you figure it out, be sure to email support@airtable.com to report it.

Alternatively, you can update records through a form — without needing to specify any prefill values at all — by using Fillout's advanced forms for Airtable.

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Ah, that's because the linked field has a space between each linked record name, so the resulting encode isn't in the right format.  You're going to need to add a rollup field to display the primary field of the linked table, and use the formula "ARRAYJOIN(values, ',')" (thus removing the space), and then use that rollup in your ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT, and that'll work fine

You're absolutely right about the inconsistent behavior of this formula. I initially tried writing my own formula for the currency field without success. While @kuovonne's extension (which you have suggested in other posts) worked well for currency, it hasn't resolved the 'Link to another record' issue. I'm not sure if this is due to my addition of the RECORD_ID or another underlying cause. I'll follow your guidance and reach out to Airtable support for further clarification.

CONCATENATE(
        "&prefill_ocdr=",
        RECORD_ID(),
        "&hide_ocdr=true"
    )

Thank you @ScottWorld.

@ScottWorld wrote:

I can't remember the bug specifically, but there is some sort of a bug in Airtable that prevents the prefilling of linked records.

If I remember correctly, if you have certain rules set on your linked record field (in the right margin of the interface form editing screen), then you are no longer able to prefill the form through the URL.

So try removing all the rules in the right margin, and see if that fixes the problem.

If you figure it out, be sure to email support@airtable.com to report it.

Alternatively, you can update records through a form — without needing to specify any prefill values at all — by using Fillout's advanced forms for Airtable.

Hi @mshah72,

Your formula looks perfect, so it should be working perfectly.

And using the Record ID is actually the preferred way to do it.

Did you check to see if you had any rules/filters in the right margin to make sure that those are not interfering with your prefill?

In the meantime, you can set this up in about 3 minutes with Fillout, so that would probably be the best path to go down to quickly solve this issue.

Screen captures that show the entire formula, the formula result, and the result when clicking on the link for the prefilled form would be useful.

mshah72
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@ScottWorld I have removed all the rules/filters
@kuovonne here are the screen captures -

mshah72_0-1709576523811.png

mshah72_1-1709576734671.png

crse_name and RecordID are not getting prefilled in this.

The new form now saves your input until submit is complete.
Try the Clear form at the bottom left once.