cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric_Marlin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello there,

I’m trying to write a formula that calculates the sum of values in another column. The tricky part is I want each row to add only the numbers above it in this other column, adjusting each time it goes down the row. For example:

DATE EPISODES PRODUCED TODAY TOTAL EPISODES PRODUCED
7/11 2 2
7/12 3 5
7/13 1 6

Where the “TOTAL EPISODES PRODUCED” column is automatically tracking what’s being input into the “EPISODES PRODUCED TODAY” column.

3 Replies 3

This type of running tally can be done in Airtable (and somewhere in this forum I’m pretty sure there’s a post that either documents the process, or links to a sample base showing how it’s done), but it takes some heavy table mangling to do it because databases just aren’t designed for this kind of thing. Unlike cells in a spreadsheet, records (rows) in a database have no knowledge of each other, so there’s no database equivalent of “look a this cell in the previous row, add something to it, then display the result.”

I would strongly suggest reexamining your base/table setup if you want this kind of running tally, and possibly reconsider the tally’s importance completely. While it’s a common thing to do with spreadsheets (mainly because it’s so easy), I find that it’s rarely of much practical use in the long run.

And if you say, “I still want to do it. Please tell me how?”, I’m afraid I can’t help you. I’ve glanced at other bases where it’s been done, but haven’t taken the time to learn the process myself because I haven’t felt that it would add any value to anything I’m doing. Sorry!

Something similar was accomplished in the responses to this thread:

With solutions provided by @bdelanghe, @W_Vann_Hall, and myself. Its been so long since I made that base I have forgotten how it works lol. Hopefully the thread will help you out. If not, I could probably re-figure this out.

Eric_Marlin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks so much y’all!