4258 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathan_pineda
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I have two linked tables. (very basic stuff)

How to get the sum of numbers in linked column and show the result into another column.

Please check the image of my base:

“hxxt://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/11/26/f4ca6ea5ae2d7a7d6eb92a96c1bdc33b-full.jpg”

7 Replies 7

Welcome to the community, @jonathan_pineda! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: For anyone else viewing this, here’s the linked image:

To your question, you would normally use a rollup field to summarize values from linked records, and technically this could be done with your existing design. However, I strongly suggest changing the design of your [Palos tumbados] table (I hope I read that name right; the JPG compression is making it tough to read it). The data in the primary field of a table is supposed to be unique for each record, but you’ve got several instances of repeated numbers in the primary field values of those linked records. I’m guessing that you’re using a formula to build that value, so my first suggestion is to put that formula into another field (I’ll call it {Valor} for this example) and change the primary field formula so that it creates a unique value. With that done, your {Saldo} field would become a Rollup field, setup like this:

41%20AM

Thank you,

I am trying to keep track of records for a very popular game, very similar to bwoling.

There are 4 contestants. (you can see their names and pics in table ‘participantes’)

There are, let’s call it ‘rounds’ where every player throws the ball and we need to track the numbers of ‘pines’ down. done in table ‘palos tumbados’ table

you can see these numbers linked in the ‘palos tumbados’ (pines down) column. in there you will see the score for each round. pending attempts are represented with ‘ceros’ on this field.

no special formula is being used, just the option of multiple records for linked table.

The problem is that I havent figured out a way to sum all the values in the column for ‘palos tumbados’

Forum rules wouldnt let me attach images nor links to better explain myself.

I’m talking about the primary field in the [Palos Tumbados] table:

Those scores are the numbers that I’m assuming are created by a formula, and as I said before, I suggest moving them to a different field. The primary field isn’t the place to keep the score for the round. The score should be in a separate field, with the primary field used to label the round; i.e. Round 1, Round 2, etc. Then use the {Saldo} field to roll up the scores from those linked records, targeting your new score field instead of the primary field.

jonathan_pineda
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for your help

Hi Justin

A little old but how to get a total sum from a column synced, to then use for a percentage rollup - eg total hrs per project, then % of that all project total hrs? Rollups are great but I would like a live sync total column sum so that as new hours are added I can use that for a simpler percentage. (Sounding very simple as I write this :slightly_smiling_face: but as yet no solution except adding total IF statements in an already large growing dataset, and I’m trying to keep the columns size and complication down from within the large data sets assuming it will slow down the table eventually)

Thanks in advance
Alex

Hey @Alex_Whitton,

Sorry for the delay in replying. This is a tricky problem. Normally the way to take a collection of records from one table and have a field sum available in another table is to link all of the records in question from [Table A] to a single target record in [Table B], then use a rollup field in [Table B] to sum the values. The hitch here is that if you effectively want every record to be part of the sum, you have to make that link on every record.

One way to simplify this is to group the records by that link field. Because the link is part of the group criteria, Airtable will automatically make that link on any record added to the group.

If that won’t work, you could use an automation to auto-link each new record to the target record in [Table B].

Will any of those options work for your use case?

Hi Justin

Perfect, your suggestions will work well - I created the helper table since my post and the KPI’s perform well but as you say yes, need to manually link pasted. The automation will work the best, and now the wireframe is complete it makes the most sense

The grouped records idea though is excellent and will serve some other use cases for me so appreciate the share and your time