Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Randy_Shoemaker
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

Here’s the scenario:

I have a row with a product. I want an auto generated number to assign to that product.

I want to then duplicate that row, but know that it is a duplicate of another row.

So - Product 001.1 gets duplicated, I want the duplicate to then show Product 001.2

If I create a new product (not duplicating), then that product would be Product 002.1, and so on.

Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Hi @Randy_Shoemaker - you can’t use the autogenerate field type as this is a) an integer and b) unique:

However, as a workaround, you could enter the “product ID” and the “SKU ID” for each record and concatenate these into the unique ID you note above:

Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 16.57.53.png

I’ve prefixed the product ID with zeros as you’ve done using the formula:

CONCATENATE((REPT("0", (3 - LEN(Product_ID)))), Product_ID, ".", SKU_ID)

Note that the product ID and the SKU ID need to be of type “single line of text” as you can’t perform the LEN() function on a number.

Hope this helps

JB

Randy_Shoemaker

Thanks, @JonathanBowen.

I know of this. I’m looking to track it with less manual input.

But thank you!

-Randy

I figured there had to be a way to make this work, and after a lot of fiddling around, I managed to pull it off. This is something that has come up in other requests as well, so I’ll add it to the Show and Tell category for easier reference by all, then edit this post with a link once that other post is done.

EDIT: Here’s a screenshot of the final result. A second table and some helper fields aren’t shown, but all will be outlined once I get that post composed for Show and Tell.

43%20PM

Looks like it’s doing what I need! Will wait for final instruction to test it out. Thank you for your help on this.

Here’s the Show and Tell post outlining the process, including a link to a sample base so you can dig in and see all the formulas involved.