Help

Record Picker on Form - More information visible?

Solved
Jump to Solution
515 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coups
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a form to create tasks, and it asks the user to select a 'project' to link the task to via a record picker.

There are a lot of projects, and they are duplicated for different clients, meaning when they use the form, and search for the name of the project we get duplicate results with no way of knowing which record is the correct one.

Is there a way to pull in more information into the 'record picker' view, eg) name of client, etc? 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I'm afraid not.  The popular workaround would be to change the primary field to be a formula field that will display all the data you'd need to search for the record, e.g. include both the client and project name

If you're comfortable with a third party solution you could try Fillout too; it works with Airtable and has a linked record picker that lets you pick which fields to display

See Solution in Thread

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Coups 

There are only 2 ways of solving this problem:

1. Airtable will only show you what is in the primary field (of the linked table), so you can change your primary field (of the linked table) to become a formula field that shows you all the information that you would like to see in the linked record picker.

2. Use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which is 100% free and gives you the ability to display an unlimited number of fields in your linked record picker, including attachment fields!

Fillout also offers about 100 advanced features that aren’t natively available in Airtable’s forms, such as updating Airtable records from a form, creating multi-page forms with conditional paths, accepting payments on forms, creating new linked records on a form, displaying Airtable lookup fields & Airtable formula fields & Airtable rollup fields on forms, visually displaying as many Airtable fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list, limiting the number of linked records that can be chosen, and much more.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I'm afraid not.  The popular workaround would be to change the primary field to be a formula field that will display all the data you'd need to search for the record, e.g. include both the client and project name

If you're comfortable with a third party solution you could try Fillout too; it works with Airtable and has a linked record picker that lets you pick which fields to display

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Coups 

There are only 2 ways of solving this problem:

1. Airtable will only show you what is in the primary field (of the linked table), so you can change your primary field (of the linked table) to become a formula field that shows you all the information that you would like to see in the linked record picker.

2. Use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which is 100% free and gives you the ability to display an unlimited number of fields in your linked record picker, including attachment fields!

Fillout also offers about 100 advanced features that aren’t natively available in Airtable’s forms, such as updating Airtable records from a form, creating multi-page forms with conditional paths, accepting payments on forms, creating new linked records on a form, displaying Airtable lookup fields & Airtable formula fields & Airtable rollup fields on forms, visually displaying as many Airtable fields as you want to see in a linked record selection list, limiting the number of linked records that can be chosen, and much more.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

Coups
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks guys!  I do have a 'vanity' field with Name | Client so I may consider using that as the primary field.

Appreciate your help!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Coups 

A quick way to make that field your primary field is to right-click on the original primary field and then choose "change primary field".

p.s. If you don’t mind, could you please mark my comment above as the solution to your question as well? This will help other people who have a similar question in the future, because it should rise to the top of the search results. 🙂