588 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am revisiting this topic from 2017 (see bottom for reference post)
I have two tables linked: Tasks, and Subtasks. Tasks also has a column called Area (single select).

When I group my data to the linked table Name Field (first column) I can add new entries via the “+”.
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 3.13.53 PM

However, if I group by the linked table “Area” column, the “+” is not visible for adding new items.
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 3.16.49 PM

Similarly, if I then add another grouping below Areas, called Tasks, I cannot see the “+” for adding new entries.
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 3.17.55 PM

Does anyone know how I can group by the last two images, and retain the ability to quickly add entries?

Reference post of similar topic from 2017
Add data to “grouped” view - Ask the community - Airtable Community Forum

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

This is because {Area (from Task} is a Lookup-type field. When you group a view by a calculated field (which includes lookups, rollups, formulas, etc.) the “add new record” button is removed from the bottom of each group. This is because normally adding a new record directly to a group will fill in whatever field(s) the group is grouped by, but since Lookup fields cannot be edited this functionality cannot be replicated.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

This is because {Area (from Task} is a Lookup-type field. When you group a view by a calculated field (which includes lookups, rollups, formulas, etc.) the “add new record” button is removed from the bottom of each group. This is because normally adding a new record directly to a group will fill in whatever field(s) the group is grouped by, but since Lookup fields cannot be edited this functionality cannot be replicated.

Greg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you, that makes sense now that you explain it.

If there are any suggestions for how to group in this way please let me know. I tried to add a new function column to the active table (not the lookup table), with this formula “={area (from Task)}” but it yielded the same results.

Thank you, this forum is fantastic