cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael_iodice
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey All

I have a template table with sample dates, this is a process our company uses over and over. I am looking for the easiest way, to keep all dates relative to each other the same, but just advance all of them 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 10 weeks, etc. the goal is to take the template created now, and not modify each record by adding the time manually and make mistakes, but to be able to advance all the dates forward at the same time and by the same amount.

Also, is there any way while working with a gantt chart to click and select all records after a certain date and push them back a week or two? the goal of this is to be able to quickly adjust schedules in the event of a delay, ie, leave everything that is in the past as is, and ‘grab’ all future events and bump them back x amount.

thank you

6 Replies 6
Chris_Moore
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Bumping this as I’m having the same problem. The solution I’m considering is adding dependencies to all of my dates. Not an easy task, but a potential fix.

Chris_Moore

Following up on my previous comment. Adding dependencies and moving around from there doesn’t work. Spent about a half hour going down that rabbit hole before giving up.

So I came up with a work around, although it’s not exactly the smoothest:

Starting off with a table with a Start Date and End Date column. Making 2 new columns which I called New Start and New End. Plugging in a formula equation to each.
New Start: DATEADD({Start Date}, 400, ‘days’)
New End: DATEADD({End Date}, 400, ‘days’)

I used 400 days as a tester, but, of course, use whatever you need. Oh - and when it starts showing times, go back into the function -> formatting -> include a time field.

This will spit out dates 400 days in advance from the date listed in your Start Date or End Date column. Once I’ve got it where I want the start date to be, I copy the entire row and paste it into the Start Date or End Date row. I can then hide the New Start/New End rows in case I ever need to edit a few dates.

Hope this helps!

Peter_Langford

I would love the capability to select multiple tasks in the Gantt chart and slide all forward or backward at the same time. Eg, if a client agrees to timeline but wants to slip the start date backwards a month. At present you can only select and move one at a time in the Gantt chart, or you have to manually update all dates in the grid view.

Hi,

I have just built a script for one of my projects and I thought it might be useful for others. As long as you have a field with task duration and dependencies linked as successor ( It does not work with dependencies linked as predecessors at the moment), the script will automatically adjust all the start and end date of all succesort tasks based on the task you select as the starting point. It can be for example a task in the middle that got delayed.

Bonus - it uses the duration of the task as “work days” duration and schedules the task to exclude Saturday and Sundays.

It might be easier to explain with a video:

I did a write up on details and the script itself is in this Medium article: https://medium.com/me/stats/post/548a2eb40ebb

I hope this save you guys some time!

Sebastian

Hi Greg, thanks a lot for the script + video - awesome stuff! I was wondering if anything changed and now its possible to have a ‘predecessor’ column? I found that thats much easier to organize around when mapping a new project

Hi,

Sorry, unfortunately, did not have time to redo the code the other way around…