Help

Autocomplete and/or validate address data

1314 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A number of other services that I've worked with (Tadabase, Knack, SmartSuite to name just three) have a field type called 'Address'. This streamlines the entry of addresses (by autocompleting) and at the same time validates the address. Is it possible to do this in Airtable? There's an extension in the extension "store" called LOB but I can't get it to work. And that's it. Is there a way to use a Zapier automation for example to do the validation at least, even if it's not possible to help with autoentry?

This is a huge deal for my users, who spend a lot of time entering addresses — often making mistakes that cause problems down the road. 

3 Replies 3

I just used Zapier to link one of my bases to BytePlant's Address Validator tool. It seems to work when I test it in Zapier: I get an "OK" response in the Zapier zap editor (at the end of the action). But I can't figure out how to capture that value and bring it back into Airtable. I have not used Zapier a lot and don't think I've ever used it for a "round-trip" automation, where I data from Airtable to an external service, and get a response back. Can anybody please throw me a clue? 

You should be able to use the "Update Record in Airtable" action for this.  I've included a screenshot that should help clarify things

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 12.44.50 PM.png

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

1. For address validation, I use Make’s Byteplant Address Validator, which can easily be integrated & automated with Make’s Airtable automations & integrations.

If you’ve never used Make before, it is infinitely more powerful than Zapier yet significantly less expensive than Zapier. I’ve assembled some Make training resources in this thread, and I compare Make Vs. Zapier in this thread.

2. For auto-completion of addresses, this can’t be done within Airtable, but this is a built-in feature of Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which allow you to create or update records in Airtable with a form. Fillout natively communicates with Airtable in real time, and gives tons of advanced features that are all Airtable-specific. I gave a very brief demo of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld